Facebook Pixel Frequently Asked Questions | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Surplus FAQ's


I want to see what kinds of furniture and equipment are available for my department to have from surplus, how can I do that? Be sure to check out what items the surplus department has every Wednesday from 9 AM - 3 PM and Friday 9am-1pm. Desk, chairs, filing cabinets, and coat trees are always coming and going in surplus. You can view the items on the WKU Surplus Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wkusurplus/.
Can I buy something from Surplus for personal use?

Yes! But only after we have determined that the item can not be reused on campus. Surplus items are auctioned quarterly on GovDeals.com, and each auction lasts 2 weeks. Please visit GovDeals.com for more information and to register as a GovDeals bidder. Quarterly auctions are held on the following dates: January 15th - 29th, July 15th - 29th, and October 15th - 29th

When can I come to view surplus items OR drop off surplus items? Surplus is open every Wednesday from 9 AM - 3 PM and on Fridays between 9am -1pm. When delivering items to Surplus, please bring them to the top floor of the Service and Supply Building, and be sure to meet with surplus personnel. Please DO NOT drop off items outside of Surplus's "Open Hours."  This is very important.
My department needs a used computer, where do I go to get that? Computers that are in Surplus are not eligible to be reused on campus. IT assesses all computers for the Recycled Computer Program -- a program through which departments may purchase gently used computers affordably. Upon IT's determination that a computer is not eligible for the Recycled Computer Program and/or no longer meets University standards, IT sends the computer to Surplus. Therefore, Surplus does not re-issue computers to departments; however, we encourage departments to contact the IT Department to request used computer. 
I already put in a request for a surplus pick up but I it hasn’t been picked up yet, what am I supposed to do now? We are working very hard to get to as many surplus requests as we can. As you wait for us to get to your office, please make sure your items are not in the middle of a hallway or somewhere that could be considered a fire hazard. If you have the means, arranging a time to drop off your own items to surplus may move the items out of your department faster. If you placed your request through the Work Order system, you may email or call with your work order number to get an update.

Recycling FAQ's

Recycling FAQ's Answers
Where do I shred paper? WKU has a contract with Landshark Shredding. WKU Recycling does not shred paper. Landshark will provide a bin and pick-up and recycle shredded material. 
I’ve got a lot of cardboard on my floor that needs to be broken down and recycled, who does that? YOU are responsible for breaking down your cardboard on a regular basis and your ESA’s bring your recycling to the bins outside. If you have an unusual amount of cardboard or recycling that needs to be taken away, please email elizabeth.gafford@wku.edu and we will send a student crew member if available.
I don’t break down or empty my cardboard when I recycle, is that a big deal? YES. When cardboard boxes are piled high and filled with Styrofoam and other packing materials, a 10-minute stop becomes a 45-minute stop. It is so important to put only broken down empty boxes for the crew to pick up so we can service as many buildings as possible each day.
I need to clean out an office but we’ve got enough paper to fill my office recycling bin, where should I put the extra paper? WKU Recycling is happy to bring you a large bin to your office for you to use for your project. Simply email elizabeth.gafford@wku.edu when you need a bin and another email when it is full.

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 4/17/20