Piano Laboratory Program
The Piano Laboratory Program at Western Kentucky University is designed to provide piano pedagogy students with actual teaching experience in private and group settings. All student teachers are either recent graduates or are currently enrolled in a piano pedagogy course in the Western Kentucky University School of Music.
Our Spring 2023 class is designed for beginner piano students, ages 6-8. Please contact Dr. Jessie Welsh about enrollment for the Spring 2023 semester and complete the form at the bottom of this page. You may be asked to meet for a brief interview, in which Dr. Welsh will assess student readiness. Once this interview process is complete, you may officially enroll in the class. Classes will be capped at six students, or according to teacher availability.
Instruction includes a weekly thirty-minute group lesson immediately followed by a thirty-minute private lesson.Class meets 5-6PM on Tuesdays in the Ivan Wilson Fine Arts Center, and students are required to attend the full hour. Students enrolled in the PLP class will enjoy a variety of experiences while learning fundamentals of music and basics of playing the piano. In the group setting, students will engage in musical games, singing, ear training, creative activities, and informal performances. Private lessons include a variety of materials, including sequenced method book songs, rote songs, and holiday music.
- Students must commit to enroll in a minimum of two semesters of study
- Any group class or private lesson missed by the student will not be made up
- Make up lessons will be offered if the teacher(s) need to miss a class and/or lesson for any reason
- Students are required to participate in the end-of-semester class performance
- Parents/guardians are asked to sign a photo/video release for students enrolled in the class, as student teachers will be asked to film lessons for class discussion and feedback
- Semester materials fee: $30
- Semester tuition: $225 (includes 12 private lessons and group classes and semester-end performance)
- Weekly group and private lessons January 24-April 25
- Semester-end performance during class time on May 2
- No group or private lessons on the following days:
- March 14 (Spring Break)
- March 28 (Music Teachers National Association Conference)
Please complete the following form, to schedule an interview:
Western Kentucky University is a fully accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music since 1948.
Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.