Collaborative Piano Services
WKU Collaborative Pianist Policies & Procedures
Collaborating with other people is one of the most rewarding musical experiences. The development of this process takes understanding, flexibility, communication, organization, and mutual respect. The policies and procedures outlined below are enforced to ensure the best educational experience and professional preparation for music students at WKU.
WHAT TO EXPECT
As the term “collaborative piano” suggests, these shared musical experiences will be truly equal collaborations. The rehearsal room is a safe space for creative musical expression and for trying out new ideas. Students are invited to engage in meaningful musical dialogue and bounce ideas around.
Dr. Golub’s services are available to WKU music students for:
- Degree & Non-Degree Recitals
- Student Recital Labs
- Other requests as workload allows
Accompanying services will prioritize:
- Performance majors, seniors, juniors, master’s students
- Repertoire of a high difficulty
Additional collaborative services will be allocated to student and community pianists as needed.
You can find a link to the collaborative pianist request form at the bottom of this document.
PDFs of music should be emailed to Dr. Golub immediately after submitting the collaborative pianist request form. Requests will not be considered until the music is received. While digital copies of music are strongly preferred, students may also drop off hard copies at Dr. Golub’s studio, FAC 322. Ensure that all music is clear and legible.
Requests must be submitted within the following time frames, at a minimum. Earlier submissions are strongly encouraged. This is considered professional courtesy, and is to allow for adequate preparation time. Requests received after these deadlines will not be accepted.
- Degree & Non-degree Recitals: 6 weeks in advance
- Juries: 5 weeks in advance
- Recital Lab: 4 weeks in advance
- Degree & Non-Degree Recitals: 10 hours per student
- Juries: 4 hours per student
- Student Recital lab: 4 hours per student
- Additional requests: TBD
All rehearsals will occur in Dr. Golub’s studio, FAC 322, and will be booked in either 30-minute or hour-long sessions. Rehearsals must be scheduled via email, a minimum of 3 days in advance. In the event of a cancellation (excepting last-minute emergency or illness), a minimum of 24-hour notice is expected to be given.
EXPECTATIONS OF STUDENTS
- Mutual respect and professionalism at all times and in all forms of communication
- Punctuality for scheduled rehearsals—plan to arrive 5-10 minutes early
- Thorough musical preparation and a receptive attitude for every rehearsal
- Voice students are expected to bring text translations and IPA to ensure productive sessions
Open communication is essential to a positive working relationship. Students should never assume Dr. Golub’s availability for lessons, studio classes, and/or other performances without first confirming the dates and times.
Upon completing the Collaborative Pianist Request form, you will be prompted to verify that you agree to the policies and procedures set out above.