Pi Mu Epsilon
Pi Mu Epsilon (PME) is the Honorary National Mathematics Society. It was founded on May 25, 1914 at Syracuse University and currently has over 300 chapters at colleges and universities throughout the United States. The purpose of PME is the promotion of scholarly activity in mathematics among the students in academic institutions. More information about PME can be found at https://pme-math.org/.
The Department of Mathematics at Western Kentucky University was granted and presented its charter for the Kentucky Beta Chapter of the Pi Mu Epsilon Society on November 10, 1972. Membership in this honorary society is based on scholarship in mathematics.
New members are invited to join the Kentucky Beta chapter of PME by invitation. Minimum qualifications for membership are outlined in Article IV Section 2 of the PME constitution (https://pme-math.org/constitution). Using these as a guideline, the Kentucky Beta chapter has the following membership requirements.
Undergraduate students with majors in the Department of Mathematics (528/P, 728/P, 730/P, 731/P):
- Overall GPA of at least 3.00
- Departmental major GPA of at least 3.00
- Credit for MATH 136
- Credit for MATH 137
- Credit in at least two major-requirement-fulfilling courses that require MATH 136
or higher as a prerequisite (to be chosen from the following lists, as appropriate
for the specific major)
- MATH 237, 302, 304, 305, 307, 310, 315, 317, 323, 331, 337, 370, 371, 382, 405, 406, 415, 417, 421, 423, 431, 435, 439, 450, 470, 473, 482
- STAT 301, 401
Graduate students with majors in the Department of Mathematics (049, 085):
- At least 18 hours earned in the program
- GPA in MATH courses in program of at least 3.00