The U.S. Department of Education’s Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH Grant) Program provides funds to students who are completing or who plan to complete coursework that is required to begin a career in teaching, and who agree to teach full-time for at least four years:
- As a highly qualified teacher as defined by the No Child Left Behind Act (“Highly Qualified Teachers: To be deemed highly qualified, teachers must have: 1) a bachelor's degree, 2) full state certification or licensure, and 3) prove that they know each subject they teach.”.;
- At a school serving low-income students;
- In a high-need field.
If you receive a TEACH Grant but do not complete the required four years of teaching services within eight years after you complete (or otherwise cease to be enrolled in) the program for which you received the grant, all TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan that you must repay with interest.
TEACH Grant Requirements
- Applicants must be majoring in “high-need” fields as defined by the TEACH Grant in
either an undergraduate or graduate teaching certification program. Such areas include:
- Foreign Language
- English Language Acquisition (WKU offers as an endorsement only)
- Special Education
- Reading Specialist (WKU only offers this program at the graduate level.)
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.25 and maintain the 3.25 GPA while they receive the TEACH GRANT OR applicants must have an ACT score within the 75th percentile.
- Applicants must be of sophomore standing (completion of at least 45 hours).
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the WKU Teacher Education Program. Information on the WKU Teacher Education requirements can be found at: Teacher Admissions Checklist.
- Applicants must be enrolled in at least 1 credit hour.
- Applicants must have a FAFSA on file (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/).
TEACH Grant Informational Links
- TEACH Grant Home Page
- Initial & Subsequent Counseling Guides
- Frequently Asked Questions
- TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve (ATS)
- FAFSA Web Page
For an appointment to complete the initial & subsequent counseling session contact:
Office of Teacher Services: (270)745-4897
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,