Changes to Mathematics Programs and Courses
1. Admission standards slightly changed for the MS degree.
2. JUMP Policy updated to match the new university JUMP policy.
1. All undergraduate majors (528, 728, 730) have removed the admission requirements (and the P version of the major).
2. Created MATH 112E (previously known as MATH 112 with support) to align with other courses in the department that have dedicated sections that get more instructional time.
3. Created MATH 123E to align with other courses in the department that have dedicated sections that get more instructional time.
4. Prerequisite for MATH 304 is now only MATH 136.
5. MATH 585 prerequisite is now MATH 501, MATH 503, MATH 511, and (MATH 512 or MATH 515).
6. MATH 511 is no longer a prerequisite for MATH 512.
7. Created ACTU 382/482 as equivalent couress for MATH 382/482.
8. Revisions to Mathematical Economics program (731). Changed MATH 307 prerequisite to MATH 306 OR MATH 307 (instead of just MATH 307). Changed ECON/MATH 498 to ECON 497 only. Changed MATH 382/482 requirements in Actuarial Science concentration to ACTU 382/482.
1. All MA (South Campus) Courses are migrated over to MATH (University) courses which will be less confusing for students. This change also means that courses such as MA 116C will now be labeled as MATH 116E, but the course is the same.
2. Added MATH 115 (and 115E and 115C) and MATH 123 to list of acceptable prerequisities for MATH 205.
3. MATH 302: MATH 136 can now be taken concurrently rather than a prerequisite.
4. MATH 304, MATH 403, MATH 411: MATH 225 is removed from prerequisities.
5. 728 Teacher Certifiable major now has MATH 337 as a required course. We also cleaned up how this major is shown in the catalog.
6. MATH 117: MATH 123 removed as possible prerequisite.
1. We are amending our extended major (528) to change CS 221 to CS 290, to reflect the change in numbering of the CS course.
2. In the Actuarial Science Concentration of the Mathematical Economics major (731), we (1) added FIN 334 as a required course and (2) added STAT 330 as an option for the computer science requirement (CS 170, CS 180, or STAT 330).
3. We have removed TCHL courses as part of the MA (049) program. We created three new courses (MATH 515, 585, 595) that are now part of the program.
1. The minor in mathematics (417) is being amended to include MATH 302 as a course not applicable to the minor.
2. The graduate MS program (085) is being changed to require MATH 598 and a thesis, with similar core requirements across the three tracks.
3. We are changing the prerequisite for MATH 307 to include a new possible way to gain entry to the course: MATH 136 and CS 290, both with a C or better.
4. We are changing the prerequisite to MATH 323 to MATH 310 with a grade of C or better.
5. We are changing the prerequisite to MATH 413 to MATH 302 with a grade of C or better or MATH 137 with a grade of C or better.
1. We are creating a new course MATH 105 Corequisite Support for Algebra for students taking MA 115C, MA 116C, or MATH 123 that would have previously been referred into DMA 096C.
2. We are changing the prerequisite to MATH 183 to include successful placement exam scores for MATH 116 or the completion of any QR mathematics course with a grade of C or better.
3. We are changing the computational course requirement for our extended major (528) to completing two courses from CS 180, CS 221, STAT 330, MATH 371, PHYS 316, or PHYS 318. We are also dropping the PHIL 215 or EE 180 requirement for the major.
4. We are changing the computational course requirement for our regular major (728) in the non-teacher certifiable track to completing one course from CS 180, PHYS 316, or PHYS 318.
1. We are changing the prerequisite to MATH 307 to MATH 137 with a grade of "C" or better or MATH 136 with a grade of "A" or MATH 142 with a grade of "A" or both Math 136 and CS 221 with grades of “C” or better.
2. We are changing the prerequisite to MATH 405 to MATH 137, and MATH 237 or MATH 307 or MATH 310, and CS 180 or CS 146, all with grades of “C” or better.
3. We are changing the prerequisite to MATH 421 to MATH 137 and MATH 307 or MATH 310 with grades of "C" or better or permission of the instructor.
4. We are changing the prerequisite to MATH 423 to MATH 137 and MATH 323 with grades of "C" or better or permission of the instructor.
5. We are creating a new course STAT 440 Categorical Data Analysis.
1. We are creating a new course MATH 115 Applied College Algebra for students that want to earn a QR credit in Colonnade in algebra, but do not intend to take MATH 117 Trigonometry or higher.
2. We are creating a new course MATH 123 Mathematical Applications for Business for business majors, which will satisfy their QR credit in Colonnade.
3. We are changing the prerequisites to MATH 117 to four years of high school mathematics including Algebra I and II and geometry, and a satisfactory score on Math Placement Exam; or MATH 116 with a grade of C or better; or MATH 123 with a grade of C or better.
4. We are changing the prerequiste to MATH 403 to MATH 206 and MATH 225 with a grade of C or better.
5. We are changing the prerequisite to MATH 411 to MATH 206, MATH 225, and MATH 308 with a grade of C or better.
6. We are changing the prerequisite to MATH 413 to MATH 225 with a grade of C or better.
7. We are changing the number of MATH 225 to MATH 302.
1. We added a Mathematical Economics option to our MS (085) program.
2. The title of MATH 514 is being changed to Mathematical Modeling and Applications, and the prerequisites are being changed to admission to the Master of Arts in Mathematics program or permission of instructor.
1. We are changing the prerequisite of MATH 421 to: MATH 307 or 310 with grades of “C” or better or permission of instructor.
2. We are changing the prerequisite/corequisite of MATH 490 to: Prerequisite: Completion of at least 25 hours of mathematics courses required for the Middle Grades Mathematics Degree with grades of C or better. Prerequisite /Corequisite: MATH 411 or MATH 421.
3. MATH 429G is being renumbered to MATH 482G to match MATH 482 in the our undergraduate offerings.
4. The prerequisite for MATH 512 is being changed to MATH 511 or the permission of the instructor.
5. The prerequisite for MATH 532 is being changed to MATH 431 or the permission of the instructor.
6. The following changes are being made to the MA (049) program:
- Replace TCHL 540 Classroom Instruction: Instructional Strategies (1 hour), TCHL 544 Classroom Instruction: Equitable School and Community Partnerships (1 hour), and TCHL 548 Classroom Instruction: Managing the Learning Environment (1 hour) with TCHL 545: Classroom Instructional Strategies (3 hours).
- Replace TCHL 550 Student Assessment I: Fundamentals of Student Assessment (1 hour), TCHL 554 Student Assessment II: Standardized Testing (1 hour), and TCHL 558 Student Assessment III: Classroom Tests and Instruments (2 hours) with TCHL 555: School and Classroom Assessment (3 hours).
- Add new course TCHL 559 Action Research Design (1 hour)
- Increase the required number of Secondary Education hours from 12-16 to 13-16 and increase the total number of program hours from 30-34 hours to 31-34 hours.
- Reword the statement regarding proficiency evaluations to clarify what exams were now available because of the new course requirements listed above.
- Reword the secondary mid-point assessment requirements to align with a previous revision of the MAE program in 2012 and eliminate confusion for students enrolled in the MA in Mathematics program.
(The prerequisite had been MATH 206 with a grade of “C” or better.)
1. We are changing the prerequisites of MATH 307 to MATH 136 with an A, MATH 142
with an A, or MATH 137 with a C or better. (PHIL 215 or EE 180 will no longer be
a prerequisite for MATH 307.)
2. We are dropping PHIL 215 or EE 180 as a requirement in both the general and certifiable 728 majors.
3. We are deleting the course MATH 432.
4. In the general 728 major, we are changing the computer science requirement to CS 180 or CS 181 (rather than CS 180 and CS 181.)
5. In the extended 528 major, the computer science requirement will be CS 180, and either CS 181 or MATH 371. If MATH 371 is selected to fulfill this requirement, it cannot also be used as an elective in the extended 528 major.
6. (a) MATH 371 may be taken as an elective in the general 728 major.
(b) If CS 180 and CS 181 are used to satisfy the computer science requirement, then MATH 371 may be taken as an elective in the extended 528 major.
7. We are deleting the 12-hour supporting course requirement from the general 728 major.
2. We are planning to offer a new course MATH 306 – Applied and Computational Linear Algebra, which will be a service course for students in other departments who need to learn matrix methods. It will not be accepted for credit toward a mathematics major or minor.
3. We are deleting the course MATH 122.
4. Effective September 1, 2012, admission requirements to initial teacher education programs are being changed to require a GPA of at least 2.75.
In addition, undergraduate students shall not enroll in any educator preparation program courses that are restricted to admitted candidates until students are admiited to a teacher education program.
Furthermore, an overall GPA of 2.75, along with a 2.75 GPA in the certifiable major/minor and professional education coursework, are required for admission to professional education, for permission to student teach, and for recommendation for certification.
2. CS 180 (4 hrs) has replaced CS 240 (3 hrs). CS 181 (4 hrs) has replaced CS 241 (3 hrs).
3. CS 170 has replaced CS 230 as one of the options for fulfilling the CS requirement for the Certfiable 728 Math Major. The requirement is now one of CS 170 or CS 180. (Note: The course CS 146 is actually equivalent to the old CS 230.)
4. MATH 431 now has the prerequisite of MATH 337 with a C or better.
5. MATH 432 has been revised to become Introduction to Measure Theory.
6. We have a new course MATH 370 - Applied Techniques in Mathematics, and we have eliminated MATH 350.
7. We have a new course MATH 473 – Graph Theory.
8. The prerequisites for MATH 307 have been changed to:
MATH 136, and PHIL 215 or EE 180, with grades of C or better.
in each course.
• Have an overall GPA of at least 2.4 in all middle grades mathematics program courses completed prior to
admission (MATH 117 and above).
• Submit a Change of Major form to change from 730P to a 730 major.
10. We now have a Certification in Data Analysis using SAS.
11. Multiple change to the 728 and 528 mathematics majors have been made.
12. We now have a joint degree with the Department of Economics, called Mathematical Economics.