The Graduate School - International Graduate Assistants
In addition to the requirements listed on the graduate assistantship details page international students must also present proof of competence in spoken English in the form of an acceptable TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score. The required scores are as follows: a minimum of 550 on the paper based TOEFL, a minimum of 213 on the computer based TOEFL, a minimum of 79 on the iBT TOEFL, or a minimum of 6.5 on the IELTS.
There are also important tax implications which international graduate assistants must consider:
- You may (or may not) be exempt from Federal or Social Security Taxes.
- You need to insure the correct amount of federal income and social security tax is withheld from your pay.
- You need to insure all required IRS registration forms are completed and filed.
Therefore, you MUST:
- Schedule an appointment with the Tax Compliance Accountant.
- Bring your current passport, VISA, and I-20 or DS 2019 form.
- If applicable, provide prior U.S. visits (entry, departure dates, and VISA status)
- Come prepared!
- The meeting will last only 30 minutes.
David Lewis Tax Compliance Accountant Office of the Controller Wetherby Admin Bldg Telephone: 270-745-6508, 5-5859 (on campus)