WKU Summer Dance Intensive
Black Leotard or Solid Colored Leotard
Black Tights, Pink/Skin colored Tights
Dance Shoes: Ballet, Jazz, Tap, Pointe (if previously trained)
Black Jazz Pants, Black Leggings, Black Shorts
Nude Cami Leo
Notebook/Journal for discussions
Yoga mat, thera-bands if you have
- During class and rehearsal, cell phones must be turned completely off and left in bag outside of the studio
- Sleep will be of the up-most importance during this week-long intensive, so be sure to get plenty of it prior to your arrival and to go to sleep on time during the intensive. If you should have a pre-existing condition, injury, or allergy (food, medical, etc); Please inform registration and faculty immediately so that we can make the proper and necessary arrangements on campus.
- Dance classes and rehearsals will be held in Gordon Wilson studios A & B
- Cover ups must be worn when walking across campus.
- Dancers must be with an RA at all times!
- The Dance Program at WKU is a supportive, safe, and creative environment! It is important to maintain a safe and secure place for dancers to explore and achieve!
- Forms will be emailed to participants in June and must be completed and returned before the start of the Intensive.
- Be sure to notify us with any dietary or allergy restrictions that you may have. Food services will be given this information.
Western Kentucky University's Department of Theatre & Dance
Summer Dance Intensive
Frequently Asked Questions:
- All students must be out of the dorms following the Dance Intensive Showing. WKU assumes no responsibility for dancers on campus after 2pm on Saturday.
- Pack enough clothing for the entire week, all toiletries plus sheets, pillow, blanket, towels, washcloths, alarm clock (if needed) and flip flops for the showers. Bring an umbrella in case of rain and a light jacket/layers for cool buildings.
- Please dress casually all week. You might want to bring a sweatshirt, as some of the classrooms can get cold during the summer.
- All intensive participants are expected to dress appropriately at all times. If any staff member feels as though a dancer is wearing inappropriate clothing, the dancer will be asked to go change immediately.
- All dorms on WKU's campus take twin sheets.
- You will only be issued one food card, so hang onto it! If you lose your key, it costs $25.00 to replace it.
- You may keep all prescription and non-prescription medication in your room, but you must have a medical release form filled out by a parent/guardian. Please note, there are no refrigerators in the dorms. Please notify faculty of any medical issues or needs.
- All fees, meals, and dorms are paid for by your registration. However, some dancers choose to bring extra money for snacks from the vending machines, to order pizzas in the evenings, or to purchase souvenirs from the bookstore.
- You may, but all students that drive will be required to turn their keys in to the camp director at registration. You will not receive your keys again until the last day of camp.
- Yes, there will be multiple counselors staying in the dorms all week long. If you need anything through the week, ask them or faculty.
- Yes, all dorms are locked 24 hours/day and can only be accessed with your room key.
- No intensive participant is allowed to leave campus at any time, unless he or she leaves with a parent or guardian, and has made arrangements ahead of time with the director.
- If you are leaving campus we must have prior notification. A parent/guardian signed note with dates/times/location of departure and return must be presented at check-in/drop-off.
- While WKU and the city of Bowling Green are very safe, no dancer should be on any part of campus without a counselor. Your days will be full of dancing and scheduled activities with faculty and RA’s!
Emergency Contact Information:
Department of Theatre & Dance Office: (270) 745-5845
WKU Fine Arts Box Office:
Amanda Clark: Professor /
Dance Program Coordinator
Meghen McKinley: Assistant Professor
Mobile: (270) 883-9589
Residence Dorms/Housing Contact: (270) 745-4359
Western Kentucky University Police & Security Services:
911 or (270) 745-2548, (270) 745-8548
Department of Environment Health & Safety: (270) 745-2395