Partner with Big Red's Blitz
Let's do something BIG
Big Red's Blitz: Partners
Every August, WKU’s newest Hilltoppers are invited to participate in M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan, the university’s five day transition program for new students, which takes place the week before classes begin. During M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan, students attend educational sessions, special events, and social activities all designed to help them successfully transition from home and high school to college at WKU.
One of M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan's featured events is Big Red’s Blitz, where participants “blitz” Bowling Green, completing four hours of service at local non-profit agencies/organizations.
Big Red’s Blitz volunteers, also known as “Blitzers,” are sent out into the community in groups to work alongside Big Red, M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan Mentors, and fellow classmates, to complete various service projects. Whether they’re sorting items at The Salvation Army, cleaning up local parks and wooded areas with Bowling Green Public Works, pulling invasive species at Lost River Cave, organizing building materials with Habitat for Humanity, or painting picnic tables at Potter Children’s Home, Blitzers are committed to “getting off the bench” and “doing something big” in their community!
Agencies/Organizations that serve as Big Red’s Blitz Partners receive volunteer services for up to four hours. During those four hours, Partners have the opportunity to share information about, and promote, on-going opportunities for service as well as their organizations.
We often hear stories of students who continue to volunteer with organizations after Big Red’s Blitz. Participating in Big Red’s Blitz as a Partner also provides agencies/organizations the opportunity to collaborate with WKU in the provision of meaningful learning experiences to students.
Are you a Big Red Blitz Participant? See where you would like to volunteer by checking out our partners!
- Paint the inside of a building
- Wash windows, carpets, walls, toys
- Wallpaper a room
- Construct a play gym for children
- Build a coat rack at a shelter or childcare center
- Build a storage shed or shelves for recreational equipment
- Sort and repair organization toys and equipment
- Organize clothing or food pantry
- Plant a garden
- Paint the exterior a building
- Build or repair a wheelchair ramp
- Plant flowers
- Paint picnic tables or park benches
- Repair and clean a camp or play area for children
- Clean and paint fences
- Plan a yard clean‐up: weeding, planting, raking, mulching, pruning shrubs
- Revitalize a playground
- Create a walking trail
- Walk dogs or pet animals
- Neighborhood clean-up
We can't wait to partner with you to engage our newest Hilltoppers in the Bowling Green community!
Before Big Red's Blitz takes place, please complete the following items:
- Complete and submit the Project Site Information Form by August 5th.
- Contact Student Activities with any questions regarding your project. We are happy to help you brainstorm ideas!
- Be prepared to have staff members on-site to provide direction and supervise student volunteers.
- Secure any materials needed to complete your project (ex. paint, plants, mulch, building materials, etc.) by either purchasing them or seeking in-kind donations.
- If your project is outdoors, prepare a back-up project in case of rain.
Let's do something BIG!