- Arts & Letters Magazine
- Cultural Enhancement Series
- Dean's Council of Students
- Living & Learning Community
- Contact Us
Quick TurnAround Grants
2017 - 2018
Quick Turn-Around Grants are small grants in the amount of $1,000 - $3,000 for research and creative activity, funded by Facilities & Administrative costs accrued through the external grant process, and supplemented by internal one-time funds from the Potter College of Arts & Letters Dean's Office. These funds are provided to support critical and immediate needs, and are intended to be spent within three months of being awarded (though projects can occur outside of the three-month time frame). Requests of less than $1000 will not be considered by the committee.
QTAG is meant to provide funding for research and creative activities, specifically travel/shipping/other expenses to conduct research/creative activities, or the dissemination of research/creative activities. Examples of QTAG activities are travel to conduct research, money to pay research assistants, costs associated with shipping artwork for an exhibit, purchase of lab supplies to further existing research, costs for materials or supplies for a project, costs associated with staging a production or exhibit, and/or costs associated with mailed survey materials.
Applications that request money for non-expendable supplies or equipment must:
- Include a justification for why that particular piece of equipment is critical for the project;
- Explain that no similar equipment type is available, either through the TRC or the department, or;
- Explain why the requested equipment must be used in place of existing equipment.
For example, if a project requires the use of a microphone, the "Equipment Justification" section needs to explain why the microphones already available for faculty in the TRC or in departments are not adequate for the proposed project.
All non-expendable supplies or equipment purchased with QTAG funds are property of WKU, and must be turned in to the department head at the end of the QTAG period.
Conference travel: Conference travel is not eligible for QTAG funding for the 2017-2018 funding cycle.
There are seven QTAG funding periods in the 2016-2017 year:
October (Due by end of business, Sept. 29th)
November (Due by end of business, Oct. 31st)
December (Due by end of business, Nov. 30th)
January (Due by end of business, Dec. 29th)
February (Due by end of business, Jan. 31st)
March (Due by end of business, Feb. 28th)
April (Due by end of business, March 30th)*
Potter College has allocated $6000 for each of the periods. Leftover funds from one period will be re-distributed equally across the remaining funding periods.
Recipients will be notified by the 15th of the month following the due date, and all funds must be spent within 90 days of that date. *Funds in the April award period must be spent no later than May 15th. Funds for QTAG activities will be spent through the departmental office and then reimbursed via interoffice account from the PCAL Dean's Office. Successful QTAG recipients must submit a post-award report detailing the use of the funds before the funds will be transferred. That report form will be included in the notice of award.
Once the application in submitted using the form below, submit a PDF file (as a single file) with the following items:
- A cover sheet that includes your name, department, and a line item list of all requested expenses, with a total at the bottom. The total must match the amount requested in the QTAG submission;
- Documentation of each expense. This should include a PDF print or a screenshot of the price quotes for each individual expense [hotel, air fare, etc.]. All travel expenses must follow university policies as outlined above;
- If the request is for conference travel, a copy of your conference abstract proposal that clearly links participation in the conference to a current, ongoing research agenda or creative activity;
- If the request is for conference travel, a copy of your conference program or letter of acceptance/invitation from the conference Program Chair.
Please do not use the PDF document to expand upon or repeat your application. Submit this as a single PDF document to Andrew McMichael.
The budget justification must be in a single PDF file, and must indicate the source of the prices/quotes for hotels, fees, &c. &c. Please include
screenshots from Travelocity, the airline website, the hotel website, or whatever
the source of the price quote is in the single PDF. Please do not use this part to
repeat or expand upon your application. It should contain the budget justification
and supporting documents only.
Faculty may only receive one QTAG award per academic year. Applications for funding can only cover a single event/trip/thing. Unsuccessful applications may be revised and resubmitted for subsequent funding cycles. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact Andrew McMichael.
All spending is subject to the following policies:
- Discretionary spending
- Travel and reimbursement
- Purchasing Policy
- Purchasing Card (ProCard)
- Personal Services and Contracts
- Spending Code of Ethics
- Per Diem rates:
- For spending not covered above, see the Division of Finance and Administration -- Travel
The QTAG Committee representatives for this year are still being determined.
Please note - If the project involves human subjects, animal subjects, export control issues, rDNA/RGZ microbe, or bio-hazards, appropriate institutional approval(s) must be obtained before the project begins and funds are spent. Contact Paul Mooney (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Office of Research Integrity for further information or visit http://www.wku.edu/compliance/.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,