Create It Forward
What is it?
- Individuals and groups of artists creating linked works of art during AY 2017-18
- A chance for many parts of Potter College to create something collaboratively
How does It Work?
- An evocative quote will be given to a small number of artists (or teams) in September, and each artist or group will create a separate work of art inspired by the quote.
- A second group of artists/teams in October will create works inspired by a work of art made by the September group. A genre switch will happen each time, so a musician will respond to a written work, a sculptor to a dance, etc.
- This will continue with time-slots in November, December/January, February & March
- Initial participants will sign up in August, and be slotted into preferred time-slots.
- The chain of artists will branch out, so more artists can be added to the project mid-way (i.e. each work of art created will be given to at least 2 other artists, so each month will have an increasing number of artists)
In April the project will be “unveiled.” Only the participants and the project coordinators will have seen the initial quote and the works created. The work will be displayed on a website, in the Kentucky Museum, and possibly at other locations around WKU as well. Music, film, dance and etc. will be displayed on monitors and as audio recordings in the gallery, and there will also be opportunities for live performance and screenings. This project was inspired by the Telephone Project, created by the Satellite Collective. To see their project, visit: telephone.satellitecollective.org
Who may create works for the project?
- All genres of artists—visual artists, musicians/composers, film and video makers, photographers, dancers, theater performers, fiction and non-fiction writers.
- Faculty and students in PCAL may participate as individual artists or in teams.
- Faculty are strongly encouraged to use the project in courses, whether as an official assignment, or as an extra credit opportunity.
How else can one participate?
- Publicizing and promoting the project, documenting or writing about the art created, helping to coordinate the gallery display and performances, etc.
- Coming to the final exhibit and seeing the works on display.
- Attending screenings and performances of the films, videos, music, dances and theater
For more information or to sign up for Create it Forward, please contact email@example.com.
Professor, PCAL Faculty Fellow
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,