Hardware & Software Requirements
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8 and Windows 10 or MAC OS X 10.8 (Mavericks) and higher.
- Internet Access: High-speed internet connection, such as DSL or a cable modem. Your internet connection is critical for viewing MediaSite videos and other supplemental videos in Blackboard.
- Audio: A working sound card and speakers will be required.
- Webcam & Microphone: Some web classes will require a microphone and webcam to complete assignments/projects and interact with classmates.
- Printer: When you login to your online course(s) you will find your syllabi, articles and assignments. The majority of students find access to a printer imperative. While you may feel comfortable accessing documents online, having a hard copy of the course syllabus can prove useful. Also, having the ability to take notes and highlight main points in assigned readings can help you when studying and/or completing research projects.
Firefox is recommended for viewing all online courses in Blackboard. Other Internet browsers include Internet Explorer, Chrome and Safari. Download Firefox for free here.
Microsoft Office is required and available for free to WKU students. The latest version is available through the WKU Software Center.
Your instructors may use MediaSite to record lectures for online delivery. Students may also use MediaSite when virtual presentations are required. Please visit the MediaSite Support Center to test your audio and video connection. For the most up-to-date information for recording a student presentation visit the Online Presentation Coaching Center.
Live Tech support is available extended hours through the WKU Helpdesk via email, chat and phone.