Coaching for Academic Readiness Excellence & Success (WKU C.A.R.E.S.)
Academic success coaching can be defined as a one-on-one, working partnership that focuses on the ‘process of learning,' as they tackle setting goals and discovering strategies to help them reach their goals.
At WKU our coaching program for online learners is called Coaching for Academic Readiness Excellence & Success (C.A.R.E.S). Our coaches are assigned groups of students, and remain with those students through graduation, strengthening student ties to WKU.
The coach and online learner work closely together to develop a personalized learning plan (PLP) based on the following:
- Student goals (academic and career), learning preferences, organizational skills, and study habits
- Strengths, and academic challenges
- Challenges that may impact academic success (finances, work schedule, time management, etc)
- Timeline for completion of degree, and what that means for enrollment
The coach's goal is to support the student, help build student confidence, and develop strategies for student success. The PLP is the first step in achieving these goals, and allows the learner and coach to personalize the support provided. From there, the coach:
- Interacts with the student regularly through multiple channels, while also providing weekly activities designed to help the student expand the strategies used to stay on track. Weekly activities are housed in Blackboard.
- Utilizes early intervention strategies, while providing support and guidance. Starfish EARLY ALERT makes this possible. By reaching out early, we are better able to help the student get back on track.
- Connects students with academic support resources designed to help them succeed
- Remains available outside regularly scheduled conversations to act as a support resource for the student
WKU C.A.R.E.S. Tools and Processes: