Western Kentucky University's Ogden College requests the nominations of enthusiastic Kentucky high school seniors for undergraduate research scholarships.
The Ogden Research Scholarship and Scholars Program is aimed at encouraging undergraduate student research. The intention of this program is to instill the excitement, rewards and challenges of research, and hopefully this enthusiasm for research will carry on past the scholar's undergraduate education. Scholars are introduced to undergraduate research opportunities during their first and second years. During their second, third, and fourth years, scholars are actively engaged in a research project with an Ogden College faculty member. Scholarships are $2500 per year and are renewable based on maintaining at least a 3.2 GPA and upon completing the required criteria. Those students that are not eligible for the scholarship may, however, partake in this program.
- Attend biweekly introductory meetings with Ogden faculty for the entire academic year.
- Attend the Annual Spring WKU Student Research Conference.
- Two one-page reports on presentations observed at the conference are required.
- Enroll in Ogden College 295 (Introduction to Research Methodology), fall semester only.
- Actively seek a research advisor and begin a research project by the spring semester.
Third and Fourth Years
- Continue working on a research project with an Ogden faculty member.
- One to two page progress report signed by both you and your research advisor is due on the last day of regular classes for both semesters during the third year.
- Scholars are encouraged to present at the Annual WKU Student Research Conference in the spring and at the fall Kentucky Academy of Sciences meeting in the third year. Scholars are required to present at one of these conferences in the fourth year.
- In the fourth year, students are expected to write and defend an undergraduate departmental and/or Honors thesis.
- Ogden Scholars are expected to contribute modest service to the college as required by the Ogden Scholar Committee.
Some undergraduate research projects may involve travel abroad to conduct research. Students often travel to present findings at national and international professional meetings
Examples of current projects:
- Pollution control using thermoacoustics
- Computer controlled robots
- Anti cancer platinum drugs
- Mobile radiation detectors
- Cellulose derived composites
- Fate of arsenic from coal, ash and flue gas
- Wavelet theory for computer data file compression
- Environmental pollutant analyses
- ACT Composite scores in the 30s or upper 20s
- High School GPA of 3.8/4.0 or top 3% of class
- Kentucky Resident or attending a Kentucky High School
- Ogden College of Science and Engineering Major
How to apply
Nomination forms must be completed by a science teacher or a guidance counselor. You may download the nomination letter and ask either your science teacher or a guidance counselor to nominate you if you are eligible. A one page paper, described on the nomination form, from the prospective scholar is also required. All application materials are due by February 15th of your senior year.
For more information contact:Cathleen J. Webb, Ph.D. Associate Dean of Research Western Kentucky University 1906 College Heights Blvd. #11075 Bowling Green, KY 42101-1075 Phone: (270) 745-4449 Fax: (270) 745-6471 E-mail: email@example.com
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,