In 1908, the Warren County Board of Education and the Trustees of the Bowling Green schools opened a high school to educate both the city and the county's public school students. New school law mandated that one or more first class high schools be established in each county. The law allowed the board to work with other school systems to satisfy this directive. The first high school opened at the Center Street School in Bowling Green with 18 county students enrolled. African Americans attended the State Street School. By 1911, four teachers instructed 116 high school students. Forty-five were county children. Two African American students from the county were enrolled at State Street which had a total of 27 pupils.
State law allowed three classes of high schools. First-class high schools provided a four-year course of instruction, second-class a three-year course and the third-class schools a two-year. In 1913, the county opened a new high school at Smiths Grove. By the 1932-33 school year, Warren County maintained nine first-class high schools, three second-class and two third-class schools. These schools typically housed grades 1-12.