Information for Prospective Students
Qualifications to apply and be considered for an interview for the Circle of Support program:
- ACT of 20 or higher
- Official acceptance letter from WKU (if you have not yet applied to WKU, please click here.)
- Able to perform the following pre-college life skills:
- Order and take medication independently
- Get up independently and attend class
- Independently manage a debit card
- Keep dorm room clean
- Independently perform routine hygiene routines
- Independently wash clothes on a regular basis
- Cook simple meals
- Independently able to balance work versus leisure
- Indpendently transition from preferred activities in order to complete responsibilities during free time
- Independently manage sleep schedule
Anyone who meets the above qualifications must email email@example.com to request an interview packet. The student will need to mail the completed packet to the Kelly Autism Program (104 Alumni Avenue, Bowling Green, KY 42101). Interiew packets will not be accepted via emai or fax. As your interivew packet is received, you will be contacted to set up a specific appointment for the interview that will be held during regular office hours.
In order for an application to be considered complete and ready to schedule an interview, the following items must be included:
- A completed copy of the interview packet
- A copy of the high school transcript
- A copy of your college transript (if you are a transfer student or have previously attended WKU)
- A psychological evaluation stating the autism diagnosis
- A copy of the most current IEP or 504 plan (if applicable)
What to expect the day of the interview
Interviews will be scheduled in one-hour time slots in order to accommodate all of the applicants. It will be very important that this schedule be followed, so please make plans to arrive early. If you arrive late, we will have to stick to the original schedule to be fair to the rest of the applicants and their families. We also ask that families take time to learn about our program's services before the interview. Upon entering the Suzanne Vitale Clinical Education Complex, the student will sign in and a picture will be taken for the student's packet. The KAP staff will greet the student and take them to the conference room for the interview. Afte the interview, the student's parents will be invited to join the student and will be given the opportunity to ask specific questions regarding programming. If the student wishes to have a campus tour, this needs to be set up through WKU.
KAP will only be completing interviews on the dates specified each semester. Circle of Support interviews for the fall 2020 semester will take place January 10, 11, 13, 14, and 15. All interviews must be in-person. KAP will not conduct interviews via Skype or conference call. Even if the student has participated in an interest meeting, they are still required to come back to WKU for the interview.
Acceptance decisions will be mailed to all students. Students shoud expect to receive letters no later than two weeks after the interview date. These letters are the final decision of KAP. If a student's interview packet is declined, they are welcome to reapply and interview for the following academic year.