IRB - Human Subjects
- Clinical Trials
- Internal Classroom Exemption
- IRB Procedure
- Your Rights as a Participant
- Levels of Review
- Paying Participants
- FAQ / Terms
Overview of Export Control Regulations, Agencies and Statues
Federal export controls are accomplished primarily through the Export Administration
Regulations (EAR, implemented by the Department of Commerce for items that have both
a commercial and potential military use) and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations
(ITAR, implemented by the Department of State for military items and defense services).
The Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) administers and
enforces economic and trade sanctions to protect foreign policy and national security
The export control regulations most frequently encountered by the university research community are the following:
- Countries under special consideration via U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security
- Export Administration Regulations Database via the U.S. Government Printing Office
- Export Control Basics via U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security
- Export Controls and Embargoes Key (App G of The War on Terrorism Affects the Academy by Jamie Lewis Keith) in Journal of College and University Law (Vol. 30, Issue 2)
- Export Controls and Universities: Information and Case Studies via Council on Governmental Relations
- Foreign Policy Report - Year 2005 via U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security
- International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR) via U.S. Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
- Lists to Check via U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security
- United States Munitions List (22CFR121) via U.S. Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
EAR Commodity Control List (CCL), 15 CFR §774, Supp. 1 (PDF) -- A listing of the goods and related technology subject to the EAR.
EAR CCL Short List (PDF)
EAR "Deemed Export Q&A"
Bureau of Industry and Security, US Department of Commerce -- Regulates goods and technologies subject to the EAR.
ITAR US Munitions List (USML), 22 CFR §121.1 -- A listing of defense articles, defense services, and related technical data subject to ITAR.
Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, US Department of State -- Controls the export and temporary import of defense articles and defense services subject to ITAR.
- Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) -- Administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions against targeted foreign countries, terrorists, international drug traffickers, and those engaged in activities related to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction
- Universities Leading the Way in Export Control Compliance
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,