Facebook Pixel Frequently Asked Questions for Readmit Students | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content
for Readmit Students

Do I need to reapply?

Situation Is a new application required?
I want to switch from non-degree seeking to degree seeking (or vice versa) BEFORE my first semester. No. You may request to change your status by emailing admission@wku.edu at any time before registering for classes.  If you originally applied as an on-demand only student, you will need to submit a new application to switch to degree seeking status.
I want to switch from non-degree seeking to degree seeking (or vice versa) AFTER my first semester. Yes. If you have already taken classes as a non-degree taking student and you wish to change to degree seeking (or vice versa), you will need to submit a new application.
I have graduated from WKU and want to continue taking classes with a major reflecting certification or non-degree seeking. Yes
have graduated from WKU and want to continue taking classes in a degree seeking status or a certificate seeking status. You are not required to reapply for admission unless it has been one full year since you last attended WKU.
I want to reapply, but I have not earned grades at WKU for at least one year. Yes  (“W” grades are considered grades)
I was academically dismissed from WKU. Yes, you can reapply one full year after the term you were dismissed.
I am taking WKU dual credit classes and want to continue my education at WKU after high school. Yes
I attended the Gatton Academy and want to continue my education at WKU. Yes. You will need to complete the Gatton Academy intent to continue form. Contact the WKU Office of Admissions for more information. 
I last took WKU On Demand classes and now I want to take regular university classes. Yes
I applied for or was accepted for another semester, but I did not attend. Yes, you must reapply unless your new intended term of entry is within three terms of your original application for admission.   If your new entry term is within three terms of the original application, you may request a term change by emailing admission@wku.edu. (Included in those three terms are the semester you applied for and the summer semester.)
I accidentally applied to the Graduate School and meant to apply as an undergraduate student.  Yes. Please contact the Graduate School to withdraw the application and for details on an application fee refund.
I want to change the major I put on my application.  No. Please email admission@wku.edu and request a major change.
I want to change some personal information on my application.  No. Please email admission@wku.edu and explain what you need to change. Include your name and WKUID (or birthday) in the email.
I want to change which semester I start classes. (For example, from Fall to Spring) You will not need to reapply if your new start term is within three terms (this includes Fall, Spring, and the Summer semester) of your application date. Please email admission@wku.edu and request to change your start term. If you want to begin classes that start outside of three terms from your application date, you will have to reapply.


Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About Readmission


If you have not attended any new institutions since last applied to WKU, then you will not have to resend those transcripts. If you have attended a new institution since your last application to WKU, please request to have those sent with your application. If your previously submitted transcripts included "in progress" grades, then you will need to resend us the transcripts with your final grades.

If you attended WKU (and received grades) within the past seven years, you do not need to re-pay the application fee. 



Fee Requirements


If you have earned your degree in the past seven years, no. If it has been longer than seven years, you will need to pay the fee. The only exception to this is for active WKU faculty and staff.

We will waive the application fee for the following reasons:

  • ACT Waiver
  • Educational Opportunities
  • Educational Talent Search
  • Exchange Programs
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP/Food Stamps)
  • Gatton Academy Applicants
  • Kentucky Institute for International Students (KIIS)
  • Medicaid
  • SAT Fee Waiver
  • Supplemental Security Insurance (SSI)
  • Temporary Assistance For Needy Families Program
  • Upward Bound Participants

You will need to send documentation of participation in these programs to admission@wku.edu.


If you have a situation or question that is not answered here, please contact the Office of Admissions.


Connect With Us


Apply to WKU

Visit WKU

Learn More

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 3/17/20