WKU Greek Affairs
Welcome to Greek Affairs!
For over 50 years, Greek life has been a celebrated tradition at WKU. Our 34 fraternities and sororities give you the unique opportunity to become the best version of yourself while being surrounded with brothers or sisters who will be your lifelong friends. With events throughout the year, WKU Greeks is a great place to make some incredible college memories.
The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is the governing body for WKU's fourteen social fraternities on campus. WKU's IFC seeks to provide an environment which enriches the campus and aids in the development of gentlemen and the Greek community.
The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) is the governing body for WKU's nine Historically African American letter sororities and fraternities. It was formed as a permanent organization on May 30, 1930 on the campus of Howard University. Learn more here
The Panhellenic Council at Western Kentucky University is the governing body of the 9 National Panhellenic Conference sororities on campus, as well as our local sorority, Sigma Alpha, and the service sorority, Omega Phi Alpha. Learn more here
STAY ENGAGED EVEN AT HOME!!
Sorority Recruitment FAQ's
- As an incoming freshman, do I have to participate in M.A.S.T.E.R Plan in order to participate in formal sorority recruitment?
- All incoming residential freshman must attend M.A.S.T.E.R Plan in order to participate in formal sorority recruitment.
- Is there a GPA requirement to sign up for formal sorority recruitment?
- To participate in sorority recruitment you must be a regularly enrolled, full-time WKU student in good standing with at least a 2.5 high school unweighted GPA or a 2.5 college cumulative GPA (12 or more earned attempted). As you’re looking at your membership options, please keep in mind that some chapters may have higher GPA requirements for membership.
- Do you use weighted or unweighted GPA’s for sorority recruitment?
- We use unweighted GPA’s for sorority recruitment.
- Do you have to submit a transcript to participate in sorority recruitment?
- You do not have to submit your transcript, however, we highly encourage that you do submit your transcript. This leaves zero doubt what your incoming GPA is. Those who do not submit a transcript, we will use the grades we have on file on WKU’s Banner software system.
- At what point do we use your college grades?
- Once you have 12 or more graded college hours, we use your college grades. You may still put your high school grades in the recruitment form, however, college grades are used starting at 12 or more graded college hours.
- Is Sorority Recruitment happening before M.A.S.T.E.R.Plan?
- Sorority Recruitment will occur 5 days before M.A.S.T.E.R.Plan. This will enable incoming freshman women to easily do both programs!
- Is there a charge to move in my residence hall early?
- There is not an extra charge to move in early – this is something that we’ve communicated with Housing & Residence Life.
- What will move-in look like for those participating in sorority recruitment?
- The Greek Advisor will email ladies what the schedule looks like. The Greek Advisor will also communicate with Housing & Residence Life so you don’t have to worry about communicating that you are moving in early. Move in for those participating in sorority recruitment will be Thursday, August 15th.
- Can someone participate in Honors H4 and sorority recruitment?
- One can definitely participate in both programs (in fact, many do!). Honors H4 is occurring before sorority recruitment and they will be getting back in time for Sorority Recruitment Orientation. Some of the H4 Counselors are members of sororities and can help answer any questions you all have while at H4.
- Will meal plans start for Sorority Recruitment?
- Meal plans will not start until the start of M.A.S.T.E.R.Plan. With that said, there
are 4 meal options (5 meal option, 10 meal option, $100 Meal Plan Dollars, or $150
Meal Plan Dollars) that you can purchase through TopNet. Sign up on TopNet following
the steps outlined below.
- Log into TopNet – Main Menu – Early Arrival Meal Plan Reservation and Payment (on main menu page)
- Choose Fall 2019 term then submit
- Choose your meal plan options
- Pay using your credit card
- These meal plans are valid Wednesday, August 14th (Lunch) to Friday, August 23rd (Breakfast).
- The Meal Plan Dollar options WILL carry over into the semester; the Meal Option Plan WILL NOT carry over into the semester.
- Meal plans will not start until the start of M.A.S.T.E.R.Plan. With that said, there are 4 meal options (5 meal option, 10 meal option, $100 Meal Plan Dollars, or $150 Meal Plan Dollars) that you can purchase through TopNet. Sign up on TopNet following the steps outlined below.
- Is there a cost to go through sorority recruitment?
- There is a cost of $52.50 – this pays for a recruitment T-Shirt for all Potential New Members all administrative expenses during recruitment such as room rentals, food to feed recruitment staff, software used during recruitment, etc. We keep the cost as low as possible and only to pay for expenses incurred through recruitment.
- Do I need letters of recommendation?
- Recommendation letters, while encouraged, are not required to participate in sorority recruitment. Please send to the individual chapter addresses (available in the Greek Recruitment Booklet) or mailed to:
Western Kentucky University
Attn: Sorority Name
1906 College Heights Blvd #11044
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1044
- What is the deadline to sign up for formal sorority recruitment?
- The deadline to register for 2020 Fall Sorority Recruitment is Friday, August 7th at 12:00 PM CST. We need this deadline so the Greek office can effectively have time to communicate with Housing and Residence Life regarding move-in for potential new members
- Basic Recruitment Schedule:
- Thursday, August 13th: Potential New Member (PNM) Move-In for Residential students
- Thursday, August 13th: PNM Orientation and Meet the Greeks
- Friday, August 14th: Go Greek Round
- Saturday, August 15th: Getting To Know You Round
- Sunday, August 16th: Philanthropy Round
- Monday, August 17th: Preference Round
- Tuesday, August 18th: Bid Day
Green Zone = Your options are not likely limited based on your GPA. (3.10 + )
Yellow Zone = Your options are more likely to be limited by your GPA. (2.80 – 3.09)
Red Zone = Your options are very likely to be limited based on GPA. (2.79 and below)
2019 Greek Handbook