WKU Greek Affairs
WKU Greek Affairs
Welcome to Greek Affairs!
For over 50 years, Greek life has been a celebrated tradition at WKU. Our 34 fraternities and sororities give you the unique opportunity to become the best version of yourself while being surrounded with brothers or sisters who will be your lifelong friends. With events throughout the year, WKU Greeks is a great place to make some incredible college memories.
The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is the governing body for WKU's fourteen social fraternities on campus. WKU's IFC seeks to provide an environment which enriches the campus and aids in the development of gentlemen and the Greek community.
The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) is the governing body for WKU's nine Historically African American letter sororities and fraternities. It was formed as a permanent organization on May 30, 1930 on the campus of Howard University.
The Panhellenic Council at Western Kentucky University is the governing body of the 9 National Panhellenic Conference sororities on campus, as well as our local sorority, Sigma Alpha, and the service sorority, Omega Phi Alpha.
Fraternity Recruitment Schedule
|Monday, August 24th||Rotation Round Day 1||6:30pm||Cherry Hall|
|Tuesday, August 25th||Rotation Round Day 2||6:30pm||Cherry Hall|
|Wednesday, August 26th||Top 5 Night||7:00pm||Houses of Your Choice|
|Thursday, August 27th||Preference Night||6:30pm||Cherry Hall (Pick Up Schedule)|
|Friday, August 28th||Bid Day||4:00pm||DSU 2081 (SGA Chambers)|
Sorority Recruitment FAQ's
PLEASE NOTE: SORORITY RECRUITMENT IS MOVING TO A VIRTUAL MODEL.
What will Sorority Recruitment look like?
- Recruitment dates, move-in, and most all details will remain the same. Potential New Members (PNM’s) will still have recruitment counselors, will still receive daily schedules – the difference is that we are moving recruitment to a VIRTUAL format. If any further questions about the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should I still move in if I was going to do Top Drop & Go before Sorority Recruitment?
- YES! Those scheduled for Top Drop & Go should still move in at their scheduled time, as the move-in schedule is now almost full for all other options. You will move-in your items and then return home.
- Potential New Members participating in Sorority Recruitment - Can return August 13 after 5pm, if you’d like to be on campus to participate in recruitment virtually (need access to internet, etc.) OR
- M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan - Can return to your residence hall at one of the following times:
- August 17 after 5pm
- August 18 after 8pm
- August 19th after 8pm
- August 20th 8am-10am.
The first M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan session will begin at 11am on August 20, on your residence hall floor.
- Those scheduled for Curbside check-in on August 13 should still move in at their scheduled time, as the move-in schedule is now almost full for all other options. You will move-in your items and participate in recruitment from your residence hall room.
What if I choose to withdraw from recruitment, when should I move in?
- Those choosing to NOT participate in a virtual recruitment who were scheduled for an August 13 move-in, can either keep that timeslot OR cancel their timeslot, and then choose another timeslot from MASTER plan dates of August 17-19 or opening weekend dates of August 20-24.
Is there a charge to move in my residence hall early?
- There is not an extra charge to move in early – this is something that we’ve communicated with Housing & Residence Life.
Is there a GPA requirement to sign up for formal sorority recruitment?
- To participate in sorority recruitment, you must be a regularly enrolled, full-time WKU student in good standing with at least a 2.5 high school unweighted GPA or a 2.5 college cumulative GPA (12 or more earned attempted). As you’re looking at your membership options, please keep in mind that some chapters may have higher GPA requirements for membership.
Do you use weighted or unweighted GPA’s for sorority recruitment?
- We use unweighted GPA’s for sorority recruitment. We use the GPA listed in the WKU system software unless an updated transcript proves otherwise.
Do you have to submit a transcript to participate in sorority recruitment?
- You do not have to submit your transcript, however, we highly encourage that you do submit your transcript. This leaves zero doubt what your incoming GPA is. Those who do not submit a transcript, we will use the grades in WKU’s Banner software system.
At what point do we use your college grades?
- Once you have 12 or more graded college hours, we use your college grades. You may still put your high school grades in the recruitment form, however, college grades are used starting at 12 or more graded college hours. This includes all grades from prior institutions, dual credit classes where you received college credit, etc. We will use whatever WKU TopNet shows as your college GPA unless an updated transcript proves otherwise.
Green Zone = Your options are not likely limited based on your GPA. (3.10+)
Yellow Zone = Your options are more likely to be limited by your GPA. (2.80 – 3.09)
Red Zone = Your options are very likely to be limited based on GPA. (2.79 and below)
As an incoming freshman, do I have to participate in M.A.S.T.E.R Plan in order to participate in formal sorority recruitment?
All incoming residential freshman must attend M.A.S.T.E.R Plan in order to participate in formal sorority recruitment.
Is Sorority Recruitment happening before M.A.S.T.E.R.Plan?
Sorority Recruitment will occur before M.A.S.T.E.R.Plan. This will enable incoming freshman women to easily do both programs!
Can someone participate in Honors H4 and sorority recruitment?
Yes, one can participate in both. Honors H4 has been moved to a VIRTUAL format as well.
Will meal plans start for Sorority Recruitment?
- Meal plans will not start until the start of M.A.S.T.E.R.Plan. With that said, there are 4 meal options (5 meal option, 10 meal option, $100 Meal Plan Dollars, or $150 Meal Plan Dollars) that you can purchase through TopNet. Instructions of how to purchase via TopNet will be added to the website soon.
The Meal Plan Dollar options WILL carry over into the semester;
the 5/10 Meal Option WILL NOT carry over into the semester
- Sign up on TopNet following the steps outlined below.
- Log into TopNet – Main Menu – Early Arrival Meal Plan Reservation and Payment (on main menu page)
- Choose Fall 2020 term then submit
- Choose your meal plan options
- Pay using your credit card. It’s THAT easy!
Is there a cost to go through sorority recruitment?
- There is a cost of $50 – this pays for all administrative expenses during recruitment. We keep the cost as low as possible and only to pay for expenses incurred through recruitment.
Do I need letters of recommendation?
- Recommendation letters, while encouraged, are not required to participate in sorority recruitment. Please send to the individual chapter addresses (available in the Greek Recruitment Booklet) or mailed to:
Western Kentucky University
Attn: Sorority Name
1906 College Heights Blvd #11044
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1044
What is the deadline to sign up for formal sorority recruitment?
- The deadline to register for 2020 Fall Sorority Recruitment is Friday, August 7th at NOON Central Time (12:00 PM CST). We need this deadline so the Greek office can effectively have time to communicate with Housing and Residence Life regarding move-in for potential new members
Basic Recruitment Schedule:
- Thursday, August 13th: Potential New Member (PNM) Move-In for Residential students
- Thursday, August 13th: Virtual PNM Orientation and Meet the Greeks
- Friday, August 14th: Go Greek Round
- Saturday, August 15th: Getting To Know You Round
- Sunday, August 16th: Philanthropy Round
- Monday, August 17th: Preference Round
- Tuesday, August 18th: Bid Day
2020 Greek Handbook