Application Procedures for the Major
Deadlines for Submitting the Application
Please note that students can apply to the major with prerequisite classes in progress. See Social Work Major Course Descriptions for more detail.
November 1: for students wishing to begin the major in the following Spring semester *These students will complete the Major in 5 semesters.
April 1: for students wishing to begin the major in the Fall semester *These students will complete the Major in 4 semesters.
In order to be eligible to apply to the Social Work Major you must:
- Be accepted to Western Kentucky University. Visit the WKU Admissions Office for more info.
- Have completed 30 hours by the semester you want to begin the major.
- Have attained a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Have completed, are currently taking, or will be completing prerequisite classes.
- Upload Personal/Professional Statement
- (Transfer students only) Upload unofficial academic transcript
- Upload other relevant materials as needed (e.g., resume, explanation re: criminal charges [if applicable]*)
You may be requested to make an appointment with the BSW Program for a screening interview after your application is reviewed.
* Applicants who have been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic violation must provide background information describing the nature of the charges. This information is used to determine a student's ability to obtain an internship, assess possible barriers to completing the program, and/or implications for professional licensure.
Contact the BSW Director, Dr. Simon Funge
- Academic Complex 111B
- (270) 745-4149
- Honors Students
- SWSU (Social Work Student Union)
- Phi Alpha Honor Society
- Study Abroad & Global Learning
Becoming a Social Work Major at WKU!
BSW Program Options
Other Important Links
- WKU Social Work Alumni Survey
- WKU Admissions
- WKU Academic & Career Development Center (Student Advising)
- WKU Tuition Rates
- Social Work Library Resources
- 1906 College Heights Blvd.
Academic Complex Room 110
Bowling Green KY 42101
- (270) 745-5313
- (270) 745-6841