Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Student Academic Appeals Policy for Course Substitution - SARC

Student Academic Appeals for Course Substitution

Course Substitution Appeals Request

The student who has registered with Student Accessibility Resource Center (SARC) and submitted appropriate documentation of a disability, one which impacts their performance in a specific discipline, may request an exception to a degree requirement in their major, minor or general education courses. In some limited circumstances, it may be appropriate for a substitution, not a waiver, of an academic requirement. The appeal will be reviewed by the SARC Academic Appeals Committee (the Committee).

Use the following procedure for Course Substitutions. Refer to the Student Academic Appeals Policy (PDF) for more information. Consult the WKU Policy 6:1030, Student Accessibility Resource Center: Course Substitution Request(PDF) for the full policy and procedure document.

Course Substitution Request  Submit a Substitution Request

Note: A student must first be registered with Student Accessibility Resource Center (SARC) to request an appeal for a course substitution. If you are not registered with our office, please take the time to do that. Click Here to Go to the Registration Process.

The Student submits a request to the SARC Academic Appeals Committee to substitute a course in the discipline in which the student has a documented disability. The following information, if applicable, should be part of the request.

  1. The Student’s name, WKI ID number, course of study (major/minor);
  2. disability documentation from a qualified professional who confirms the diagnosis and supporting rationale for the substitution request;
  3. and information regarding any previous attempts to complete the course.
  4. Additionally, accommodations previously requested of SARC and the Student's diligence in using the services will be considered.

SARC has access to information about the previous attempts to complete the course, the previously requested accommodations, and the Student's diligence of using accommodations and resources. You may need additional documentation of your disability if the original documentation submitted during registration does not verifies the effects on performance in a specific discipline and justifies substituting the course.

The Course Substitution Request should be submitted via the Student Academic Appeals for Course Substitution Request Form. If you prefer, you may download the Student Academic Appeal for Course Substitution Request (PDF), and then mail, fax, email, or bring the completed form to SARC. 

Committee Evaluates Then the Committee Evaluates

The Committee will evaluate the Appeal Request and any supporting documentation to determine if the disability warrants the substitution of a course for the degree requirement.

Committee Agrees If the Committee agrees the substitution is appropriate...

  • The Committee will determine, in consultation with the Student, a specific course to substitute the degree requirement that meets the intent of the category.
  • If the course is required for a major/minor, the Chair of the Committee will consult with the respective Department Head and Dean for an agreement to use the course substitution.
  • The Student ADA Compliance Officer forwards the actions of the Committee to the Registrar to amend the Student's degree requirements.
  • The Registrar will notify the Student with the written agreement to substitute the course.

Request Denied If the Committee denies the request...

The Student can petition to the Student ADA Compliance Officer for reconsideration or an explanation. If the Student believes they were discriminated against on the basis of their disability, the Student may file a grievance complaint with the Student ADA Compliance Officer.

Mr. Robert Unseld
Student ADA Compliance Officer
DSU, Room 2001



 For a listing of Student Accessibility Resource Center's policies in the Division of Student Affairs, please click here. 

To request any forms, documents, or information in an alternative format, please contact the Student Accessibility Resource Center at 270-745-5004 or via email at

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 1/8/18