Math Placement Exam
Math Placement Exam (MPE)-Algebra: Required for all students whose major requires College Algebra (Math 115, Math 116 or Math 123) and will be used in conjunction with your ACT/SAT math score to determine the required math course(s).
You do not need to take the MPE-Algebra if your major requires Math 109 – General Math or if you look at your transcript in WKU TopNet and see that you have credit for Math 116, Math 117, Math 136 or higher.
Where and how to take the Math Placement Exams:
If you do not have ACT or SAT scores, you must take the MPE in a proctored testing center either at the WKU Math Lab or an approved off-campus location.
The WKU Math Testing Center is located in room 2126 in College High Hall (COHH) on WKU’s main campus, and you may schedule an appointment at wku.edu/mathtesting.
You may take the MPE at another proctored testing center by following these directions:
- Go to wku.edu/testing
- Choose 'For Test-Takers'
- Scroll down to 'Register for an exam at another location' and choose 'Find an Off-site Testing Location.'
- Choose 'Sites in the United States'.
- Click on the state or on 'click here to search by zip code or address.'
- Scroll through the list of testing centers and contact the one most convenient for you.
- Have the coordinator of that testing center contact Jill Price at email@example.com or (270) 745-2141 with the date and time of your appointment, and she will send that coordinator the directions for accessing the WKU Math Placement Exam.
If you have ACT or SAT scores in TopNet, you can take the MPE online for the first time on your own.
This is a 45 minute 25 question exam that you may only take once online. Please set aside enough time and a quiet space to do your best.
- Access WKU TopNet website and login.
- If Main Menu is not towards the top of the screen, choose Return to Menu on top right of screen.
- Near the bottom of the Main Menu screen, choose Topper Orientation Program (TOP) Students.
- Choose Math Placement Exams on the next screen.
- Begin #1: Math Placement Exam Algebra.
** MPE scores will upload to TopNet at midnight of the night that you take them.