How to Be a Successful On Demand Student
On Demand is a convenient yet rigorous learning option. On Demand classes work within the busy schedules of working students, but it takes self-motivation and discipline.
Enhance your WKU On Demand success with these tips:
- Ask for help. Taking a WKU On Demand course can be overwhelming at first. If you have questions
about the course and its content, contact your instructor. Technical questions should
go to the WKU Help desk. WKU On Demand is always here to help at 270-745-4158 or by email if you don't know who else to contact.
- Read the syllabus. The syllabus is critical; it’s the road map for the entire course, so get to know
it well. Print a copy and read through it...twice.
- Set a personal goal for when you would like to complete the course. Put all assignment due dates on your calendar, as well as reminders.
- Once the course begins, review assignment instructions and discussion topics at the
beginning of each week and consult grading guidelines. You’ll be amazed how much easier
assignments become once you’re familiar with the instructions.
- Manage your time wisely. The freedom and flexibility of the On Demand environment require planning, organization
and responsibility. It takes commitment to keep up.
- Use the first few days of your course to become familiar with expectations and make a schedule. Tasks can include reading, studying, writing, conducting research, responding to discussion boards, meeting virtually in groups and other learning activities.
- Remember: Once you get behind in a course, it’s challenging to catch up. Expect to
invest a minimum of two hours of work for each hour of instruction per week.
- Communicate frequently. On Demand classes require students to be strong communicators through email, discussion boards and chat rooms. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your instructor or fellow classmates if you have questions or need help. Access our award-winning Student Resources Portal for additional aids to help you stay on track.