Facebook Pixel Teacher Certification FAQ - Office of Teacher Services | Western Kentucky University

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Teacher Certification

Kentucky teacher certification is based upon the completion of a teacher preparation program that includes student teaching and testing when applicable. Kentucky requires a recommendation from the certification official at the college/university (where the applicant completed his/her initial teacher preparation program) regarding the specific teacher preparation program completed, grade level, degree level, and completion date of the program.

ALL applicants must submit the following documents to the WKU Office of Teacher Certification (Gary A. Ransdell Hall 2054, 270-745-4300):

WKU cannot accept certification fees. The certification fees should be paid directly through Office of Educator Licensure and Effectiveness (OELE) e-Pay system at www.kyepsb.net. Formerly Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB).

The PRAXIS II examination is required by Kentucky. All student teacher candidates are required to attend a meeting before beginning the student teaching semester. Specific testing requirements are discussed at this meeting. For additional information on testing requirements, please refer to the Kentucky OELE web page.

Undergraduates should take the required PRAXIS II exams in the semester prior tostudent teaching.

Applicants may register to take PRAXIS exams by logging on to the Educational Testing Service web site (www.ets.org) and following the instructions for registering for PRAXIS examinations. Applicants must select the R1901 Recipient Code to ensure that the score report is sent to WKU.

WKU receives PRAXIS scores from the ETS approximately one month after the test date, at the same time that students receive their reports. The scores are usually available to view on TopNet within a week after the Office of Teacher Certification has received them. Students may log on to TopNet, select “Student Services,” click on “Registration,” and then click on “View Test Scores and Course Eligibility.” If the scores are not listed, the student must furnish a copy of the scores to the Office of Teacher Certification.

Please note that if you require a final transcript showing your degree awarded and your degree has not yet been awarded you must submit a request via TOPNET and check the box on the form that says: Hold for Posting of Degree. Students must request that a transcript be sent electronically to OELE (Formerly EPSB) once the degree has been awarded or final grades have posted for non-degrees. If you require a final transcript and are completing a planned 5th year, Planned 6th year, or certification only program and final grades have not posted please check the box: Hold for end of semester grades.
Official transcripts are usually available from the Registrar’s Office approximately four or five weeks after the end of each semester. As soon as WKU’s Office of Teacher Certification receives all official transcripts (paper copies only), a completed CA-1 Form, and required examination score(s) (if applicable), the candidate’s application for certification will be put in line to be processed.

Once the application is processed, it will be submitted directly to Office of Educator Licensure and Effectiveness (OELE) in Frankfort. All applicants for advanced/additional or initial certification or endorsement, please visit Kentucky’s OELE website (www.kyepsb.net) to pay the certification fee online.

Applicants with incomplete applications receive correspondence from the WKU Office of Teacher Certification regarding materials received and items required for completion of the application process; however, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure all required documents have been received by the Office of Teacher Certification.

After the approved application has been submitted to Kentucky’s OELE, candidates may track the progress of the application by logging on to the OELE web site (www.kyepsb.net). OELE will issue a professional license for those seeking initial certification, or issues a new certificate for those seeking an advanced/additional certification or endorsement, and will notify the student in approximately three-four weeks, when their certificate is ready to download and print. 
You may be recommended for a Temporary Provisional Certificate only if you are enrolled in an Alternate Route to Certification graduate program and have an offer of employment in an approved classroom. For those students enrolled in an appropriate program, a recommendation for a Temporary Provisional Certificate may be obtained upon receipt of the following by the WKU Office of Teacher Certification:
  • An approved Program of Study form
  • Official undergraduate transcript(s) showing degree posted
  • Completed CA-TP form (obtained from the District’s Central Office) signed by the superintendent showing verification of employment (or intent to hire) in an approved classroom

Once the CA-TP Form has been processed and approved, it will be submitted directly to the Kentucky OELE. This certificate is only good for one year (renewable twice for a total of three years), and is only in effect as long as the individual is pursuing the master's degree and employed as a teacher. Students must take and pass all required PRAXIS exams and be ready to begin the Kentucky Teacher Internship Program (KTIP) like experience before a third Temporary Provisional Certificate may be issued.

You may get a recommendation for a rank change only after you have completed an approved program. A Planned Fifth-Year (Rank II) or Planned Sixth-Year (Rank I) program is a planned, approved, specific program of studies (i.e., set of courses), not just a collection of graduate hours. All courses on the student’s program of studies must be completed before we can make a recommendation for rank change.
For information regarding graduate policies and procedures, please consult the Graduate School FAQ page.
Program of Study Form is the graduate program of study. It must be filled out by the student and advisor. The advisor must approve of the courses listed on the program. The Program of Study Form must be signed by the student, then by the advisor. The advisor then submits the Program of Study Form to the Office of Teacher Certification.
The Program of Study Form must be submitted prior to the completion of twelve (12) hours of graduate course work. Failure to file the Program of Study Form will result in not being able to register for any additional courses until the Program of Study Form is submitted with appropriate signatures.
Students must send the form to their advisors for approval. Advisors must send the form to the Office of Teacher Certification via the Forms page.




Gary A. Ransdell Hall, Office 1092

1906 College Heights Blvd. #11030,
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1030

Open In Maps


Staff Directory

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 4/13/21