Communication Disorders Staff
Brian Weiler, Ph.D, CCC-SLP
- Assistant Professor
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Academic Complex 108-J
- Phone Number: (270) 745-3519
- CD 280 - Introduction to Communication Sciences and Disorders
- SLP 500 - Research Methodology in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- SLP 504 - Child Language Disorders
- SLP 589 - Special Topics in Communication Sciences and Disorders
Brian Weiler, Ph.D, CCC-SLP is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. He earned his M.S. and Ph.D. at Vanderbilt University. Dr. Weiler worked clinically as a pediatric Speech-Language-Pathologist at the Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center, serving the preschool and school-age populations. The overarching goal his research is to inform clinical practice by characterizing the grammatical and syntactic skills of children with typical and impaired language. In addition to presenting at local and national conferences, he has published in the areas of grammatical morphology, complex syntax, and phonemic awareness. Dr. Weiler is committed to ongoing development of inventive and effective instructional practices to provide his students with authentic and lasting learning experiences that can later be drawn upon during clinical decision-making. He has served as a Reviewer for the American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation, the Annual Conference of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, and the Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research.
Grants, Research, & Publications
External Grants & Awards
- Conference Fellow, “Lessons for Success” (co-sponsored by ASHA and the ASHFoundation and supported by the NIH/NIDCD), 2017
- Student Research Grant in Early Childhood Language Development, American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation, 2014
- New Century Scholars Doctoral Scholarship, American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation, 2013
- Graduate Student Scholarship, American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation, 2012
- NIH Travel Award, Symposium on Research in Child Language Disorders, 2012, 2013
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Weiler, B., Schuele, C.M., Feldman, J.I., & Krimm, H. (2018). A multi-year population-based study of kindergarten language screening failure rates using the Rice Wexler Test of Early Grammatical Impairment. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 48, 248-259.
- *O’Dell, N., Weiler, B., & Schuele, C.M. (2014). Explicit phonemic awareness of adolescents: Skills at baseline and following brief instruction. Young Scientist, 4. 45-48.
- Weiler, B. & Schuele, C.M. (2014). Complex syntax: Joining clauses with subordinate conjunctions. Perspectives on Language Learning and Education, 21, 182-191.
- Weiler, B. (2013). Verb selection and past tense morphology: Crystal's criteria revisited. Topics in Language Disorders, 33, 152-164.
*Mentored first author, who was named semi-finalist in the Intel Science Talent Search for this project.