Facebook Pixel Frequently Asked Questions | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content
Adult Learner Services
located in the Transfer Center 
  • (270) 745-2178
  • finish@wku.edu
  • WKU Downing Student Union (DSU), Room 2135
    1906 College Heights Blvd.
    Bowling Green, KY 42101

Frequently Asked Questions

What degree programs are offered at WKU?

You can review all of WKU's Academic Programs here!

Does WKU offer Online courses?

WKU has a significant catalog of flexible course formats including online, independent learning, and telecourse. For more information about online courses offered go to online courses.

This is a link to our all online programs. 

How much will my degree cost?

Students can review all tution and fees through our Bursar's Office.

Do senoir citizens revieve free tuition?

In accordance with KRS 164.284, Kentucky residents who are 65 years of age or older are granted free tuition for any undergraduate or graduate college class in which they enroll for credit or to audit. Individuals must be 65 years of age or older on or before the first day of the semester in which they enroll. Senior students are still responsible for paying any course fees, such as lab fees, and for purchasing their textbooks. Like all students, seniors must apply for admission to the university, which can be done online, and pay the application fee. For additional information contact Adult Learner Services at (270) 745-2178 or finish@wku.edu.

For a video testimonial from a senior student click here.

Can I receive Financial Aid?

Financial aid varies according to income, not age. Loans and grants are awarded for any given school year beginning in the fall semester and ending in the following summer. Start by completing the federal financial aid form online. Have your income tax return from the previous year ready and go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov and follow the directions. You will be prompted to choose WKU as the school to receive your information. Receiving funds can take 6-8 weeks.

For more information on paying for college click the "Pay for School" tab above.

If you are a current or admitted WKU student you can also click here for a tutorial on how to check your financial aid status.

Need help in completing your FAFSA? The Educational Opportunity Centers offer FREE assistance! Call (270) 745-4441 in Bowling Green or (270) 861-6900 in Glasgow.

I earned a GED, can I still apply to WKU?

Yes.  You will have to supply WKU with your GED transcript after you apply. 

If you received your GED in Kentucky, you can request your scores via the GED web site at http://ged.ky.gov/.

If you received your GED in another state, Google GED records and the state (e.g., GED records Tennessee).

I did not take the ACT or the SAT. Are either required?

If you are over 21, the ACT or SAT are not required. However, you will need to complete the Accuplacer Exam and Math Placement Exam, both of which are administered at WKU. These are assessment tools that assess algebra, reading comprehension, and sentence skills.

A standardized test score is required to place incoming students into the appropriate English and Reading courses. Accuplacer NextGen is an option for students without a standardized test score on file or would like to test out of a supplemental reading course or have expired exam scores. Should a student need to take a placement exam, they will be notified from the Office of Admissions and/or the College Readiness Staff in the Advising & Career Development Center. To review a list of all placement exams accepted at WKU, please visit the College Readiness website. To learn more about Accuplacer and to schedule your exam, visit https://www2.registerblast.com/wku.


For more information on taking the Math Placement Exam, please click here.

I have to complete TOP. What is this?

TOP, or Topper Orientation Program, is an orientation required of all new WKU students. If you are a transfer student with 24 hours or more you will have the option of completing an online TOP. Students may schedule to attend or complete TOP through their Online Reservation system.

For more information on TOP, email top@wku.edu or call 270-745-4242. 

How do I find my advisor?

An advisor is assigned after you apply to WKU, and is dependent on your major.  If you have advising questions before you are admitted, or if you need help determining the best major before you apply, talk to the adult learner counselors.  They can give you basic advising information and also refer you to other advisors for more information on particular degrees.

If you are a current student and need to find your advisor, go to TopNet – Student Services – Registration – View Advisor Information (or click here for a tutorial on how to find advisor information).






Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 4/6/22