Facebook Pixel Frequently Asked Questions - Project Graduate | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content
Adult Learner Services
located in the Transfer Center 
  • (270) 745-2178
  • finish@wku.edu
  • WKU Downing Student Union (DSU), Room 2135
    1906 College Heights Blvd.
    Bowling Green, KY 42101

Frequently Asked Questions - Project Graduate

I want to return to WKU to finish my degree, what is my first step?

Your first step is to contact Adult Learner Services. We can determine if the degree you were pursuing years ago is still available, if it has new requirements, and if classes are available online. Call us at (270) 745-2178 or email us at finish@wku.edu.


What is the fastest way to complete my degree?

To find out your options for the quickest route to degree completion we can perform a degree audit for you. In some cases you may choose to pursue the degree you previously started, or you may want to consider other options. Adult Learner Services can provide you with the information to make that decision. Please call us at (270) 745-2178 or email us at finish@wku.edu.


How will I know what classes I need to finish?

We will review your degree program and show you what you need to finish. We can also look at alternatives for those who want to finish a degree via the fastest route possible.


Does WKU offer courses online or closer to my home?

WKU has a significant catalog of flexible course formats including online, independent learning, and telecourse. For more information about online courses offered go to http://www.wku.edu/online/classes.

Students may also pursue entire degrees online: http://www.wku.edu/online/degrees.

Students can also take classes and pursue degrees at one of our regional campuses:

Elizabethtown/Ft. Knox/Radcliff, Glasgow, and Owensboro.


If I have attended WKU before, do I have to apply for admission again?

If you have completed at least one class at WKU and you've been out of school for over a year, you must apply for readmission. However, if you have previously attended WKU you do not have to pay the $40 admission fee. For information on how to re-apply contact Adult Learner Services at (270) 745-2178 or finish@wku.edu or click here for a tutorial.


Some of my old grades aren't very good. Is there anything I can do about that?

Yes, while all grades remain on your transcript, there are a couple of things that you can do to raise your GPA. First, you can repeat a class or classes for which you received a poor grade (this is normally done for classes in which an F is received). When you do this the grade from the second attempt is factored into your GPA, and the old grade is not factored into your GPA. For more information on repeating classes go to http://www.wku.edu/advising/academicstanding.php or contact Adult Learner Services at (270) 745-2178 or finish@wku.edu.

Some students have a whole semester (or multiple semesters) in which they received failing grades for all classes. In this case they may want to consider academic renewal. For more information on academic renewal click here or contact Adult Learner Services at (270) 745-2178 or finish@wku.edu.


Can I receive financial aid?

Financial aid varies according to income, not age. Loans and grants are awarded for any given school year beginning in the fall semester and ending in the following summer. Start by completing the federal financial aid form online. Have your income tax return from the previous year ready and go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov and follow the directions. You will be prompted to choose WKU as the school to receive your information. This takes 6-8 weeks.

For more information on paying for college click the "Pay for School" tab above. If you are a current or admitted WKU student you may click here for a tutorial on how to check your financial aid information.


I have heard seniors get free tuition. Is this true?

Yes, in accordance with KRS 164.284, Kentucky residents who are 65 years of age or older are granted free tuition for any undergraduate or graduate college class in which they enroll for credit or to audit. Individuals must be 65 years of age or older on or before the first day of the semester in which they enroll. Senior students are still responsible for paying any course fees, such as lab fees, and for purchasing their textbooks. Seniors must apply for admission to the university, which can be done online. For additional information contact Adult Learner Services at (270) 745-2178 or finish@wku.edu

For a video testimonial click here.


How do I find my advisor?

An advisor is assigned after you apply to WKU, and is dependent on your major.  If you have advising questions before you are admitted, or if you need help determining the best major before you apply, talk to the adult learner counselors. They can give you basic advising information and also refer you to other advisors for more information on particular degrees.

If you are a current student and need to find your advisor, go to TopNet – Student Services – Registration – View Advisor Information (or click here for a tutorial on finding your advisor information).


If I have more questions where can I go for answers?

You may contact Adult Learner Services to speak to an adult learner counselor or schedule an appointment to discuss any questions you might have. In addition, the Registrar's Office has a wealth of additional topics at http://www.wku.edu/registrar/.

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 3/17/21