Facebook Pixel Getting Started | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content
Adult Learner Services
located in the Transfer Center 
  • (270) 745-2178
  • finish@wku.edu
  • WKU Downing Student Union (DSU), Room 2135
    1906 College Heights Blvd.
    Bowling Green, KY 42101

Getting Started

If you would like to schedule an appointment with one of our Adult Learner Enrollment Counselors, we can walk you through the following steps. 

Call us at (270) 745-2178 or email us at finish@wku.edu.

Step 1 - Choose an Academic Program

Not sure what academic path you want to pursue? You don't have to have a major to start school, but you should determine your academic program as soon as you can. Our Adult Learner Enrollment Counselors would be happy to help you get on a path that would best suit your needs. In addition, the Advising and Career Development Center can help you determine the most appropriate academic program for the career of your choice. WKU offers more than 170 choices for undergraduate areas of study through majors, minors, associate degree programs, certificate programs, pre-professional study, and areas of concentration within majors. Use the following link to explore our academic programs


Step 2 - Apply for Admission to WKU

The first step in attending WKU is to apply for admission. There are several admission requirements depending on your status (beginning student, transfer student, readmission student, or visiting student). In addition, there are specific deadlines for applications by semester and a $45 fee. Please review all of the requirements by going to the admission homepage. When you are ready to apply, you can apply online. If you have any questions contact Adult Learner Services at (270) 745-2178 or finish@wku.edu.


Step 3 - Apply for Financial Aid

If you would like to seek financial assistance (loans, grants, scholarships, veterans' benefits, tuition waivers, work-study) you will need to apply for financial aid. To do so, you start by filling out the FASFA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You can also go to the 'Pay for School' tab at the top of the page for additional information regarding more financial aid options.

If you would like assistance in filling out your FASFA please contact Adult Learner Services by calling (270) 745-2178 or emailing finish@wku.edu. Also, the Educational Opportunity Centers offer FREE assistance in completing your FAFSA. To contact the EOC office, call (270) 745-4441 in Bowling Green or (270) 861-6900 in Glasgow.

Are you a veteran and have questions about financial aid or getting started with your VA Educational Benefits? Call Bobby Sluss or Schella Smith at (270) 745-3732 or visit the WKU's Veterans Affairs website.


Once You Are Admitted to WKU


Step 4 - Register for the Topper Orientation Program (TOP)

TOP is required for all new adult learner freshman (0-23 credit hours from another post-secondary institution) or adult learner transfer (24 or more credit hours from another post-secondary institution) students. The goal of the TOP is to "successfully transition first-year and transfer students academically to Western Kentucky University".

  • If you are an Adult Learner Freshman - you will need to email the TOP office (top@wku.edu) with the following request: "I am an adult learner that would like to complete TOP online instead of attending the all-day TOP on campus". Then, please provide the TOP office with your first and last name and your student ID 800#.
  • If you are an Adult Learner Transfer - you will need to visit the TOP Online homepage to register.
  • If you are an Adult Learner Transfer Student who will be attending one of the Regional Campuses, please contact the Regional Campus in which you will be taking classes regarding new student orientation.
  • If you are an Adult Learner Readmit - you are not required to attend TOP. You may contact your academic advisor immediately to register for classes. If you are unsure of how to contact your academic advisor, please contact Adult Learner Services by calling 270-745-2178 or emailing us at finish@wku.edu. We will gladly assist you in connecting with an academic advisor.


Step 5 - Get Access to TopNet

TopNet is WKU's student information portal that allows students to view pertinent information (your email address, bill, see who your advisor is, etc.) and perform student functions (register for classes, print your semester schedule, change your major, etc.). Once you have been admitted to WKU you will receive a student ID number, commonly referred to as your "800 number." This is your TopNet logon and your initial password is the last six digits of your social security number. Upon you first login, you will be prompted to change your password.


Step 6 - Get a WKU Email Account

Once you have registered for classes, you will receive a WKU email address. Once you have your WKU email address and password, you can login from the WKU Homepage, click Quick Links and then TopperMail (Email).




Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 3/17/21