Expectations of Participants
Faculty members who are selected to take part in the Zuheir Sofia Endowed International Faculty Seminar will be expected to participate in the following ways:
- Provide a complete and accurate spring semester teaching schedule to facilitate the scheduling of the ZSEIFS preparatory meetings;
- Develop and submit a comprehensive bibliography by the associated deadline. The ZSEIFS Faculty Leader will determine the deadline and communicate it to selected participants;
- Contribute to the ZSEIFS itinerary by developing contacts and helping to secure plans for meetings/events/activities while in-country that would meet both my own professional development goals and the objectives of the ZSEIFS;
- Attend all bi-monthly preparatory meetings and sessions during Spring semester leading up to the ZSEIFS. A schedule of meeting dates and times will be provided to each participant by OIP upon announcing selections;
- Complete all assignments and activities related to preparatory meetings by deadlines indicated;
- Ensure that I will not be teaching a class (including online classes) during the ZSEIFS in-country experience to allow my full participation;
- Participate in all activities and events unless prevented by illness or injury;
- Complete Post Program Evaluation (which will be included in the participant handbook) by no less than 60 days after the ZSEIFS' conclusion;
- Add substantial target-country content into courses taught as proposed*;
- Contribute to the successful implementation of the IYO program in at least two (2)
of the following ways:
- Lead a faculty-led study abroad program to the target region/country
- Conduct and present research related to target region/country for campus audience
- Coordinate and carry out at least two events (one of which must occur during International Education Week) in the following academic year with the intention of engaging one or more of the following groups: faculty, staff, students or community
- Assist in the hosting of guests related to IYO program
- Provide updates to my goals list, once within 60 days of completing the in-country portion of the ZSEIFS, once after twelve (12) months, and once after three (3) years, detailing my progress in each goal I have outlined and my contribution to the IYO calendar.
PHYSICAL, MEDICAL, AND DIETARY REQUIREMENTS FOR ZSEIFS 2015
- Must be able to work long days;
- Must be able to walk a mile on moderately rough, hilly surface;
- Some roads are very curvy, if you are prone to motion sickness in a vehicle, you must manage it;
- Meat is an important part of many African cultures. We can accommodate vegetarian but not vegan alternatives. We cannot guarantee that your food has never been in contact with meat products, nuts, or nut products;
- We will not always be near quality medical facilities. If you have a condition that may require rapid medical attention, this is not the program for you.
NOTE: When applying for the ZSEIFS, you must acknowledge you can perform the physical requirements. Should a faculty member fail to complete any of the afore-mentioned requirements, OIP reserves the right to terminate their participation in the Seminar and/or withdraw all funding.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,