University of Kentucky College of Medicine - Bowling Green
Early Assurance Program
The University of Kentucky College of Medicine-Bowling Green Campus opened its newly-constructed state-of-the-art facility in 2018 in a partnership with Western Kentucky University and Med Center Health.
Academically excellent students from WKU who demonstrate the qualities of a competent and caring physician and also have an interest to ultimately study and practice in the South Central/Western region of Kentucky are encouraged to apply to the Early Assurance Program.
The Early Assurance Program is offered to WKU students, in the second semester of their sophomore year. Those students will receive assured admission to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine - Bowling Green (UKCOM-BG) upon successful completion of the program requirements and graduation from WKU. Up to ten (10) WKU students each year will be accepted for the Early Assurance Program.
Selection Criteria for the Early Assurance Program
- Currently enrolled at one of the UK College of Medicine EAP partner universities (WKU).
- Current Sophomore standing and anticipated college graduation within 3-4 additional full-time semesters.
- Five full-semester science courses, including but not limited to the disciplines of biology, chemistry, physics and/or mathematics and not including associated laboratory courses.
- Two semesters of humanities coursework, emphasizing written or spoken communication skills.
- Cumulative college GPA of at least 3.6 (program does not round up).
- College science (biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics) GPA of at least 3.6.
- Commitment to participate in all Early Assurance Program Activities.
The application will open on November 1st, 2023 with a deadline of February 1st, 2024. Application materials include:
- Application form (online)
- Two faculty letters of recommendation
- Unofficial transcript
IMPORTANT - If you are interested in applying to the EAP program, you must notify the WKU Executive Board for Pre-Health (email@example.com) of your intent to apply (please include your WKU ID# in the email). You should not submit an application until you have received an email response confirming that you meet the minimum requirements for the EAP program.
Early Assurance Program Activities
Special enrichment experiences for admitted Early Assurance Program students will begin during the summer following acceptance and culminate the following summer, prior to their application to UKCOM-BG. Activities will include:
- Exposure to hospital and office practice
- Shadowing and mentoring experiences with physicians
- Academic advising at WKU
- Targeted research/seminar/course experiences
- MCAT preparation
- Online summer workshop - after sophomore year
- One-week boot camp experience during the second summer to assist student in preparation for the application to medical school
Program Requirements for Assured Admission to UKCOM-BG
- Successful completion of the Early Assurance Program
- Completion of all prerequisites for the UK College of Medicine
- Cumulative total GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Science (BCPM) GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Successful completion of the MCAT with a total score of at least 504 with all subscores of at least 124
- Submit an AMCAS application to UKCOM-BG within 7 days of the application opening, applying 'Early Assurance' to the Bowling Green program.
- Obtain a supportive Letter of Evaluation (LOE) from the WKU Pre-Health Committee
- Complete a satisfactory interview for admission to UKCOM-BG
- View Timeline for provisional acceptance to UKCOM