Facebook Pixel Sponsored Programs | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Changes During your Award


 Budget Reallocations

  • Definition: A reallocation (TFG) is done to move budget (not an expense) from one Account Code to another.
  • Directions: Complete the Reallocation Request Form.
  • Timeliness: Budget reallocations should not be done in the last 30 days of a grant. This will only be done in exceptional circumstances. This is a red flag for federal auditors because it appears that the expenditures on objectives have not been well planned.

      Things to Remember:

1. Contact OSP for all budget reallocations as sponsor approval may be necessary. Also, be sure and include a detailed description of why the transfer is necessary.

2. Do not spend out of unbudgeted pools or line items.

3. When nearing the end of the grant, avoid reallocating simply for the purpose of spending the entire budget as auditors may find these costs do not directly benefit the project.

4. Do not attempt to transfer budget between grants.


Change in Principal Investigator or Project Director 

Occasionally, it becomes necessary to change the Principal Investigator/Project Director of a grant. The request should originate from the Department Head or Dean/Unit Director, and be routed through the appropriate channels within the PI's college to the Office of Sponsored Programs at sponsored.programs@wku.edu.

Your request (preferably sent by email) should include the agency project number, current principal investigator (PI) name, project title, WKU 6 digit grant index number, new PI contact information and vita and approvals from the new principal investigator, Department Head and Dean's/Unit Director's office. The letter/email should also include a clear outline of the new PI's qualifications to lead the program and accomplish the objectives as outlined in the original proposal.

The OSP will submit the request to the sponsor in accordance with their guidelines.

Once notified that the change of PI has been approved by the sponsor, please submit through the appropriate channels a Change in Responsible Person or Banner Access Change Form to the Office of Sponsored Programs at sponsored.programs@wku.edu. This form can be found at https://www.wku.edu/finadmin/forms/index.php



Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 7/1/19