Faculty-Undergraduate Student Engagement (FUSE)
FUSE grants are designed to support undergraduate students' intellectual development by fostering active engagement in the areas of research, creative and scholarly activities, and/or artistic performances.
All undergraduate students in good academic standing who will reach at least sophomore status at the time of award may apply. FUSE is well-suited for sophomore and junior level undergraduates.
A PDF version of the Spring 2018 application can be found here.
A Word version of the Spring 2018 application can be found here.
A standard FUSE award package includes:
- Up to $3,000 that can be used as follows:
- project-related expenses (including travel needed to carry out research)
- student to travel to a conference to present
- travel for the faculty mentor to accompany the student to that conference
- Scholarship for tuition for the one-hour course (if the course results in an increase in tuition)
- $500 awarded to the student upon successful completion of the project
- $1,000 from college to department of the faculty mentor – $500 for faculty’s professional development and $500 for the department to incentivize student-faculty research.
An International FUSE award package includes:
- The standard FUSE award package as described above
- Up to $1,000 of supplemental funding awarded to the student to support international activities
What is expected of an awardee? (further details will be provided upon award)
- Student must take a one-hour research course “UC 400: Mentored Research Experience” during the semester in which they receive the award (coursework is the FUSE project itself)
- Student must present a poster/talk, or stage a performance/exhibit, at a national or regional conference, or other venue appropriate to the nature of the work
- Student must contact the Office of Scholar Development and discuss external scholarship options
- Faculty member should submit publication(s), with appropriate authorship, based on the work
- The student is expected to present/participate during WKU’s annual REACH week.
For Existing FUSE Awardees:
For further information or questions, contact email@example.com
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,