Facebook Pixel Study Abroad | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Student Research and Travel: Study Abroad

To encourage active learning, the department supports student travel to conferences and other academic events or excursions. Sometimes these are class activities, such as field trips or play attendance, but we also encourage individuals to submit papers written for their English classes to appropriate conferences. Our students have read papers at the Notre Dame Undergraduate Film Conference, the Popular Culture Conference, the Associated for Medieval Literature Conference, the nations Sigma Tau Delta Conference, the College Composition and Communication Conference, and more.

Various funding sources are available, depending on the student's circumstances. In all cases, expenses must be determined ahead of time. In the case of field trips, the instructor will apply for funding. In the case of individuals attending conferences, the student must work with his or her faculty mentor to apply for funding.


Undergraduates and Graduates:

You should first fill out the English Department Student Travel Request form, as much in advance of your travel as possible:

Student Travel Request Form

Student Travel Approval Process Instructions

If you have any questions about this form, please ask Mary Johnson (CH 135) for assistance. Give this form to your sponsoring faculty member/mentor along with evidence of your conference acceptance (copy of email will do).

Immediately upon return from the trip, you will need to work with Mary to fill out a Travel Expense Voucher. You will need to supply copies of your receipts (conference registration, air fare, hotel bill airport parking). You don't need to save food receipts; we refund that according to a per diem schedule. If you drive, the amount you are refunded will be based on the mileage. If it's less expensive to fly than drive, you must fly.


Honors Students:

Additional funding may be available through the Honors College. You will find application information at the following link, and you may ask professor Walker Rutledge to assist you:

Honors Development Grant


Graduate Students:

Additional funding may be available through Graduate Studies, though you much apply a month in advance. Dr. Kelly Reames and/or your sponsoring faculty member may be able to assist you. You will find application information here:

Graduate Travel Grant




Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 11/30/18