Facebook Pixel Frequently Asked Questions | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Degree Works is a web-based tool that provides a clear and convenient method for students, academic advisors, and faculty to track degree progress, to prepare for registration, and to plan for graduation. 

Degree Works matches students’ academic and course history against the degree requirements as defined in the Undergraduate or Graduate Catalog. 

Currently, you can access Degree Works via the following link: https://degreeworks.wku.edu/Dashboard/. You will need to be logged into VPN (on or off-campus) to access Degree Works. You may find more information on VPN access here: https://td.wku.edu/TDClient/34/Portal/KB/?CategoryID=290. 

The Degree Works audit evaluates all courses completed, or accepted via transfer, and shows how those courses have been applied toward the chosen degree, major, concentration, minor, and/or certificate according to the catalog requirements for the year in which it was declared.  

The audit lists the overall requirements to earn your degree or certificate, including Colonnade (UG), major, minor (UG), concentration, and/or certificate courses. Electives (UG) and In‐progress courses are listed toward the bottom of the audit, as well as Fall Through (GR) for courses that do not apply toward the credential. Your Academic Advisor can assist with reading and understanding your Degree Works audit.

No, Degree Works is a tool designed to help aid and facilitate academic advising. Your audit is NOT an official evaluation. All degree requirements need to be verified by your Academic Advisor prior to graduation, and each student is responsible for complying with all academic policies published in the catalog. 

Yes! Course information such as course description, pre-requisites, and future section offerings can be accessed by using the clickable course link. For example: COMM 145 as pictured here is a clickable link within your degree audit.      Course Information  

If you're having difficulty understanding the pre-requisite details listed within the course information, talk with your academic advisor or visit the Pre-requisite Guide found here: https://www.wku.edu/degreeworks/glossary.php

Use the "What‐if" feature by selecting your proposed degree/certificate, and option if needed. The requirements for your selection appear and you can see how your coursework will be applied to the new program you are considering. 

Yes, students with more than one declared major or program will be able to see their primary major as well as any secondary declarations. 

You will need to notify your respective Degree Certification Officer via email that you intend to pursue a certificate in lieu of a minor. 

Degree Certification Officers: 
Dana Jones (dana.jones@wku.edu) - Students with last name beginning A-K
Marsha Wagoner (marsha.wagoner@wku.edu) - Students with last name L-Z 

Degree Works is a tool to assist you with planning and tracking your progress towards your degree. A transcript is your official university record. Your Audit is not your academic transcript and it is not official notification of completion of your requirements.

Yes, you may choose to print your Degree Works audit by using the Print Icon in your Degree Works Audit. The preferred browser for printing to PDF is Google Chrome. 

A Graduate Curriculum Exception should be submitted to request a course substitution or transfer course articulation.  An Appeal of Graduate Policy should be submitted to request deviation from a university policy (e.g. Time Limitation for Degree Completion, etc.).

Your first point of contact should be your academic advisor. If your advisor is unable to resolve your questions they will contact the appropriate person in the Office of the Registrar or the Graduate School. 


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 2/15/22