College and Career Readiness (CCR) - Certificate Program
This certificate program is for graduate students who are interested in the college and career readiness of P-12 students; with a specific focus on interacting and intervening with this target population, as well as developing professional relationships with school-related stakeholders. The College and Career Readiness (CCR) certificate is created to support the career and college readiness needs of local, regional, and national P-12 students. It is offered online through WKU’s Bowling Green campus; courses are taught by CNS faculty with the integration of experts from local businesses and schools. Students will have opportunities to participate in action research and service learning consultation activities. This certificate program plays a leading role in Kentucky’s economic and social development by preparing CCR graduates to prepare P-12 students to join a high quality educated workforce in an area of local, regional, and national need. Additionally, it meets the needs of area schools by providing specific training to the personnel being hired or asked to work with students in the areas of college and career readiness. It also serves to help build and maintain networks between districts and industry in Bowling Green.
The 15 credit hour certificate program includes the following required courses.
- CNS 500 College and Career Readiness Foundations (3 credit hours) - Overview of college and career readiness; roles and duties of college and career readiness helpers within the school system; and legal, ethical, standards-related issues and implications. (Offered summer semester)
- CNS 501 College and Career Consultation & Collaboration (3 credit hours) - Consultation models, professional collaborations, and application of concepts and skills with an emphasis on college and career readiness within school macro and micro systems. (Offered fall semester)
- CNS 502 College and Career Program Development & Evaluation (3 credit hours) - Program development and evaluation, with emphasis on P-16 college and career development and readiness. (Offered spring semester)
- CNS 503 Practicum in College and Career Readiness (3 credit hours) - Supervised experiences in college and career readiness setting(s). Registration in CNS 503 is approved based upon the completion of CCR Practicum Paperwork. (Offered spring semester with permission)
- CNS 556 Developmental Career Counseling (3 credit hours) - Integrates the career counseling process into the life span from early childhood through older adulthood. Career development theories; career assessment instruments; educational resources; placement; follow up and evaluation. Interrelationships among work, marital, family, and other life roles including multicultural and gender issues. (Offered summer semester)
Learn about the Tuition Discounts for Active Kentucky Educators!
This program is currently eligible for the Kentucky Educator Tuition Discount. Additionally, full-time teachers who supervise student teachers or teaching interns may qualify for the Tuition Waiver for Supervising Teachers.
Turn this Certificate into a Master's Degree!
These certificate courses can meet the elective requirements for certain masters degrees that include options for electives in this area. Admission for those degree programs is separate from this process; please review the admissions requirements of those programs and apply separately:
- Professor & Department Chair
- GRH 3035, 1906 College Heights Blvd #51031, Bowling Green, KY 42101-1031
- (270) 745-4799