Education and Behavioral Science Studies
The MAE program in Education and Behavioral Science Studies (formerly titled "General Education") is an interdisciplinary program designed for qualified graduate students who wish to do advanced study of education (in a general sense) or behavioral sciences (in a general sense) but whose career goals are not addressed by existing programs at Western Kentucky University. The program is a flexible one that allows a faculty advisor to individually tailor a program of studies for a student who wants to pursue graduate study in an area of education or behavioral sciences for which the university does not presently offer a program.
It is important to note that completion of this program does not lead to initial or advanced certification by Kentucky's Education Professional Standards Board, nor does it lead to certification or licensure in counseling or psychology.
The goals of the program are that upon completion of the program:
- Students will be knowledgeable about philosophy, strategies, and ethical issues in education or behavioral science;
- Students will be knowledgeable about developmental issues of a specific population;
- Students will be able to apply their knowledge of development to curriculum design, educational planning, or intervention strategies;
- Students will develop content knowledge in identified subject areas;
- Students will be knowledgeable about professional ethics in education or behavioral science fields; and
- Students will be able to research "best practices" in teaching/working with specific populations.
Students admitted to the program are assigned faculty advisors to assist them in developing their programs of studies. A minimum of 30 semester hours of graduate level course work is required for the non-thesis option; 24 hours of course work is required for the thesis option. All students must pass a final comprehensive examination. Details about program requirements may be found here.
For further information about this program, please contact the program coordinator Dr. Janet Applin, Associate Dean for Academic Programs.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,