Funding Opportunities for Graduate School
WKU Financial Support
Do not let a concern about finances stop you from pursuing your degree! In addition to the resources listed below, the Division of Enrollment and Student Experience (ESE) is willing to assist students. Helpful WKU resources include:
Student Financial Assistance (SFA)
3rd floor of Potter Hall (270-745-2755, firstname.lastname@example.org)
The SFA staff can assist with FAFSA completion, securing grants or scholarships, verification, student and parent loans, and respond to financial aid questions.
Enrollment and Student Experience
3rd floor of Potter (270-745-6169)
If you have exhausted all federal/state aid options, the ESE can help you explore other options.
WKU Study Abroad Scholarships
For students participating in an international experience, a variety of scholarships are available to support the cost of the course or international experience
Scholar Development Grants for conference attendance, research, equipment
(Organizational Aid > Scholarships) (typically due Oct/Nov)
Organizational Aid Grants for registered student organizations may apply for travel expenses for competitions, conferences or community service (typically due Oct/Nov)
Winter / Summer Term Scholarships (typically due Nov/Apr)
Graduate School > Financial Resources
Alumni Grants offer reduced tuition for children of WKU alumni
Departmental GA positions require 20 hours a week working with faculty and staff performing research, teaching, or administrative duties. This is an excellent opportunity to work with the faculty in the counseling department and learn more about counseling through conducting research. In order to apply for a GA position in the counseling department, fill out the application and email it to Dr. Lacretia Dye at the address listed on the bottom of the form by April 21st.
- Graduate Research Assistantship (GR/GA): employed by the university to perform duties related to a scholarly project or program of research under the guidance and direction of faculty members. The duties of a research assistant involve applying and mastering conceptual and theoretical ideas, practices, or methods of scholarship.
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GT/TA): After one year as a GA, you may be eligible for a TA position. Teacher assistants help professors with units in undergraduate classes. They may serve as discussion leaders, graders, leaders of laboratory sections,or may assist in capacities such as preparation of assignments, and other administrative duties necessary for a course.
The Distinguished Minority Fellowship (DMF) program is designed to help minority students attain graduate degrees by providing tuition as well as employment opportunities. Admission into the program is competitive and applicants are encouraged to submit the application materials as early as possible. Applications are accepted between January 15-April 15 and funding begins in the following Fall semester. (Deadline typically around Apr 15)
Kentucky Educator Discounts
KY P-12 Educator Tuition Discount
The Kentucky P-12 Educator Tuition Discount provides P-12 educators who are Kentucky residents a discounted tuition rate when pursuing a degree or certificate program. View the list of eligible programs.
Supervising Teachers or Resource Teachers
Full-time teachers who supervise student teachers or teaching interns may qualify for the Tuition Waiver for Supervising Teachers. The 6-credit waiver may be used up to one year after completion of the supervising experience.
Other Scholarships or Loans
- P.E.O. Educational Loan Fund (ELF): Intended to help qualified women attain a degree or certification from an accredited postsecondary educational institution. The maximum loan amount is $15,000 for master’s degrees.
- P.E.O Projects: Make a difference in women's lives with six philanthropies that include five projects that provide higher educational assistance.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness: The PSLF Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of their Direct Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full time by certain public service employers.
Counseling Organization Support
- National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) Fellowships: By providing scholarships and fellowships to counselors-in-training, the Foundation increases the number of counselors committed to helping priority underserved communities. The Foundation offers scholarships and fellowships to master’s and doctoral counseling students, training awards to individuals earning the BCC certification, and professional development awards to CCE credential holders. View their list of scholarships including those related to serving military, rural, and minority populations (Deadlines: Sep & May).
- American Counseling Association (ACA): Funding opportunities are available for students to participate in conferences (volunteer for half off the registration fee), essay contests, and research grants through ACA, the ACA foundation, and the ACA divisions.
- Kentucky Counseling Association (KCA): There are summer scholarships and conference volunteer opportunities available for a student counselor at each of the participating universities with counselor education programs.
- Chi Sigma Iota International (CSI): Once a member of this counseling honor society, there are research grants, fellowships, essay contests, and other opportunities to help fund professional development and engagement within the profession.
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT): They offer a Minority Fellowship Program is available for master's level students in the MCFC program. Visit the application information to learn more. Their website also provides a variety of research and grant resources.
- NAADC Minority Fellowship Program for Addiction Counselors. Up to $20,000 tuition stipend available to master's students interested in specializing in addiction/substance abuse and open to working with the needs of a racial/ethnic minorities and/or transition age youth after graduation. Funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). See the website for information or flyer for details and application requirements.
- AAUW Career Development Grants provide funding to women who hold a bachelor’s degree and are preparing to advance or change careers or re-enter the workforce. Primary consideration is given to women of color and women pursuing their first advanced degree or credentials in nontraditional fields. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents whose last degree was received before June 30, 2010. Funds are available for tuition, fees, books, supplies, local transportation, and dependent care. Grants provide support for course work beyond a bachelor’s degree, including a master’s degree, certification program, or specialized training in technical or professional fields. Applications are open Aug 1 - Dec 15). Visit their website to learn more.
- Kenton County Retired Teachers Association Scholarship: $600.00 scholarship for a Kenton County resident who is enrolled in the College of Education and is a senior or someone working on his/her post graduate degree/certification. View the KCTRAS information and application form.
Local Counseling-Related Job & Volunteer Opportunities
Visit our Counseling Jobs webpage to learn about job and volunteer opportunities for local employment in area agencies.
Let's Talk, Topper: Money
Western University Campus Financial Support
- Winter/Summer Scholarships
- Summer Term Scholarships
- Student Financial Assistance
- Grants, Scholarships, and Loans
- Student employment opportunities
- Graduate Student Research Grants (Deadlines: Sep, Nov, Feb)
- Conference Travel Grants (Deadlines: Sep, Nov, Feb, Apr, Jun)
- College Heights Foundation (Deadline: Apr)
- Apply for In-state Residency
Kentucky P-12 Educator Tuition Discount
In recognition of the importance of Kentucky’s teachers and other certified school personnel in helping to ensure that our high school graduates are college and career ready, WKU provides a significantly reduced tuition to help these personnel enhance their areas of expertise.