Facebook Pixel Funding Opportunities | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content
Funding Opportunities for Graduate School

Funding Opportunities for Graduate School

Affording your college education may be easier than you think! There are several scholarship options for first-time, transfer, and current students at WKU.

Students celebrating at a WKU football game.

TopDollar Scholarship Portal

The TopDollar Scholarship Portal is one convenient way to apply for scholarships at WKU. In addition to the scholarships that are awarded by the University based on academic merit, there are numerous scholarships that are awarded by the College Heights Foundation through private funds established by alumni and friends, academic departments or programs throughout the University, or by community organizations and professional associations. Learn more about the types of scholarships that can be applied for via TOPDollar.

Learn More

Departmental GA positions require 20 hours a week (which may include some Saturdays) working with faculty and staff assisting with research, teaching, or administrative duties. This is an excellent opportunity to build relationships with faculty, engage in Departmental and College-wide activities, and become acquainted with the Counseling and Student Affairs-related professions. In order to apply for a GA position in the counseling department, fill out the application and email it to Dr. Lacretia Dye at the address listed on the bottom of the form by April 16th.

  • Graduate Research Assistantship (GR/GA): employed by the university to perform duties related to a scholarly project or program of research under the guidance and direction of faculty members. The duties of a research assistant involve applying and mastering conceptual and theoretical ideas, practices, or methods of scholarship. 
  • Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GT/TA): After one year as a GA, you may be eligible for a TA position. Teacher assistants help professors with units in undergraduate classes. They may serve as discussion leaders, graders, leaders of laboratory sections,or may assist in capacities such as preparation of assignments, and other administrative duties necessary for a course.

The Distinguished Minority Fellowship (DMF) program is designed to help minority students attain graduate degrees by providing tuition as well as employment opportunities. Admission into the program is competitive and applicants are encouraged to submit the application materials as early as possible.  Applications are accepted between January 15-April 15 and funding begins in the following Fall semester. (Deadline typically around Apr 15)

Other WKU GA positions are available on campus throughout the year. Visit their website to learn about opportunities, requirements, and deadlines to apply.

  • P.E.O. Educational Loan Fund (ELF): Intended to help qualified women attain a degree or certification from an accredited postsecondary educational institution. The maximum loan amount is $15,000 for master’s degrees.
  • P.E.O. Projects: Make a difference in women's lives with six philanthropies that include five projects that provide higher educational assistance.
  • National Health Service Corps: These programs offer scholarships and loan repayment programs available to mental and behavioral health professionals addressing a growing health care shortage in rural, urban, and tribal communities.
  • Public Service Loan Forgiveness: The PSLF Program is intended to encourage individuals to enter and continue to work full-time in public service jobs. Under this program, borrowers may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance of their Direct Loans after they have made 120 qualifying payments on those loans while employed full time by certain public service employers. View this PSLF step-by-step video guide to learn more.
  • National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) Fellowships: By providing scholarships and fellowships to counselors-in-training, the Foundation increases the number of counselors committed to helping priority underserved communities. The Foundation offers scholarships and fellowships to master’s and doctoral counseling students, training awards to individuals earning the BCC certification, and professional development awards to CCE credential holders. View their list of scholarships including those related to serving military, rural, and minority populations (Deadlines: Sep & May).
  • American Counseling Association (ACA): Funding opportunities are available for students to participate in conferences (volunteer for half off the registration fee), essay contests, and research grants through ACA, the ACA foundation, and the ACA divisions.
  • Kentucky Counseling Association (KCA): There are summer scholarships and conference volunteer opportunities available for a student counselor at each of the participating universities with counselor education programs.
  • Chi Sigma Iota International (CSI): Once a member of this counseling honor society, there are research grants, fellowships, essay contests, and other opportunities to help fund professional development and engagement within the profession.
  • American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT): They offer a Minority Fellowship Program is available for master's level students in the MCFC program. Visit the application information to learn more. Their website also provides a variety of research and grant resources.
  • NAADC Minority Fellowship Program for Addiction Counselors. Up to $20,000 tuition stipend available to master's students interested in specializing in addiction/substance abuse and open to working with the needs of a racial/ethnic minorities and/or transition age youth after graduation. Funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). See the website for information or flyer for details and application requirements.
  • AAUW Career Development Grants provide funding to women who hold a bachelor’s degree and are preparing to advance or change careers or re-enter the workforce. Primary consideration is given to women of color and women pursuing their first advanced degree or credentials in nontraditional fields. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents whose last degree was received before June 30, 2010. Funds are available for tuition, fees, books, supplies, local transportation, and dependent care. Grants provide support for course work beyond a bachelor’s degree, including a master’s degree, certification program, or specialized training in technical or professional fields. Applications are open Aug 1 - Dec 15). Visit their website to learn more.
  • Kenton County Retired Teachers Association Scholarship: $600.00 scholarship for a Kenton County resident who is enrolled in the College of Education and is a senior or someone working on his/her post graduate degree/certification. View the KCTRAS information and application form.
Visit our Counseling Jobs webpage to learn about job and volunteer opportunities for local employment in area agencies.


The Student Employment Program at Western Kentucky University provides employment opportunities for students who are in need of part-time employment as they pursue a course of study at the University. The program is also designed to assist University departments in meeting their objectives through the use of qualified student employees.

Search for Jobs and Internships

Eligibility Criteria

Application Process

Student interviewing for an on-campus jobs



Department of Counseling
and Student Affairs

Gary A. Ransdell Hall 3036
1906 College Heights Blvd. #51031,
Bowling Green, KY 42101-1030
(270) 745-4953

Send Us A Message

Staff Directory

Open In Maps


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 9/22/21