“We have had a lengthy and valued relationship with WKU; in turn, WKU has always met our development needs.”
– Ronnie Rosser Jr.
HR Development, Logan Aluminum
Every employee has a role in managing quality in an organization. Let WKU’s Quality experts share proven problem-solving techniques that foster an environment of continuous improvement. Take your company’s quality efforts further by asking about the impact statistics and statistical process control can have on your operations.
4 hour course
What’s your problem? For many of us, problems at work are a daily occurrence; therefore, the ability to recognize the problem-solving model and tool application is a critical skill for all employees.
This training session focuses on an overview of the problem-solving process with emphasis on the tools that are used. Rational Problem Solving: An Overview is a recommended prerequisite course.
- Understand the seven problem-solving steps and how to identify problems
- Explore the challenges and advantages of problem identification and problem solving tools
- Learn how to integrate a problem-solving approach to the decisions faced in a modern technological environment
4 hour course
Benjamin Franklin once said, “Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship.” Being able to effectively manage finances is a crucial part of most jobs. This thorough course will help you to understand and apply several of the core concepts of finance.
- Understand the concepts and goals of finance/financial managers
- Explore the three types of business organizations
- Be able to apply the four basic principles of finance
4 hour course
The word “Kaizen” is defined as: a business philosophy or system that is based on making positive changes on a regular basis, as to improve productivity and an approach to one’s personal or social life that focuses on continuous improvement. It has quickly grown to be an industry standard with many manufacturers. In this course, you will explore concepts such as life-cycle and cost management, performance and investment management, case study on benefits of continual improvement, market position, job security, and Kaizen improvement.
- Understand definitions of quality, productivity, and improvement
- Explore the benefits of gradualism versus shock therapy
- Learn the essential importance of cost and quality improvement in a competitive market environment
4 hour course
The ability to recognize problems and participate in the team problem solving process is a critical skill for all employees. Most contemporary industries recognize the benefits of team problem solving and expect their employees to proactively participate in team decision making. This course will introduce you to and give you practice with those processes.
- When/how to apply the team approach to problem solving
- How to apply solutions to perceived problems
- How to integrate a problem solving approach to the decisions faced by all workers in a modern technological environment
Statistical Process Control (SPC) is based on the application of statistical techniques to production situations. In order to understand and apply SPC techniques appropriately, it is vital that you first understand the fundamentals of statistical analysis. This training session focuses on the basic statistics necessary to enhance quality and productivity through SPC (see next course).
- Understand variable identification/measurement and measurement error/ basic frequency distributions
- Learn measures of central tendency (mean, median, and mode) and measures of dispersion (range, variance, and standard deviation)
- Explore statistical methods such as sampling, comparisons, and measurement
After you take the “Statistics for People Who Hate Math: The Basics” course, you will be ready for the next step: Statistical Process Control. This training session focuses on the mechanics of controlling the production process through the application of statistical methods. Deming’s concepts of Statistical Process Control (SPC), implementation of an SPC program and data interpretation.
- Explore sampling as a tool in maintaining quality
- Understand control chart construction and interpretation, differences between statistical control limits and engineering specifications and how to interpret control charts
- Learn the calculation and interpretation of process capability measures