Online Teaching Course (OTC)
July 12th - August 6th
Online Teaching Course is a four-week asynchronous online course meant for faculty who are either new to the online teaching experience or need a refresher of the basics. In this course, faculty will learn best practices to support effective teaching and learning in the online environment, discuss different pedagogical approaches with peers, and begin to design an online course with the support of an instructional designer. This course is being offered in the Ultra course experience in Blackboard which is currently in pilot status at WKU.
Over the course of 4 weeks, faculty will explore topics including:
- Characteristics of a quality online course;
- Backwards Design;
- Building Community Online; and
- Trends and Issues in Online Teaching and Learning including group work in the online environment and online discussions.
By the end of the course, faculty will be able to:
- Identify characteristics of quality online course design and teaching;
- Apply the steps to create an online course using the backwards design approach;
- Plan, organize, and create at least one learning module on Blackboard; and
- Build and support a community of inquiry in an online course.
Pre-requisite: Complete ITS: New Instructor Blackboard Training
The Summer 2021 Session will begin on July 12th. This is a four week course. Please register by July 2nd.