Facebook Pixel Child & Family Services FAQ's | Western Kentucky University Skip to main content

FAQ's about Child & Family Services

  • The Child and Family Services tracks are completely online. Our online classes fill very quickly. Some of the Child and Family Services courses are offered in a face to face format.
  • The 'General Education' / Colonnade requirements for WKU *may not be* offered online. Some are, some are not. We are uncertain as to the availability of online Gen-Ed's/Colonnade courses. Many are offered during the Fall and Spring semesters. Be sure to check the schedule for the Winter Term and Summer Terms as well. This is a popular time for online Gen-Ed's and Colonnade courses.
  • A wonderful opportunity to take courses online is during the Winter and Summer terms. We also offer many classes through WKU On-Demand.
  • The concentrations result in a Bachelor of Science degree. This four year degree requires 120 hours of course credit in general education or Colonnade requirements, courses in the major (63 credit hours).
  • (Please note - of the 120 hours needed to graduate, 42 of those must be at the 300 level or above!)

For current students, in order to declare a major in Child & Family Services, follow these steps:

  • Sign in to TOPNET
  • Click 'Change Major" option
  • Under 'Field of Study' Major 1 drop down menu, select "Child & Family Services (5011)."
  • Once you are have completed this form, click submit, and thenprint the form. The form is not electronic, an dmust be submitted to the AHS office in paper form.

Yes - you can teach with this degree. You cannot teach in public schools. As with any employment position, some businesses/companies may have specific degree requirements. You can do many things with this degree! Talk with your advisor about the many opportunities you will have with the Child Services degree orclick here for an abbreviated list of career opportunities.

If you are a student who is transferring to WKU or if you are a new student attending WKU, we highly recommend you attend an Topper Orientation Program (TOP) session. Even if you are going to take classes *online,* we recommend you attend a TOP session to become familiar with all that WKU has to offer. Your advisor is available to help you with your major area of concentration. The TOP folks will help you become familiar with WKU, setting up your email, obtaining your student ID, student ID number, etc. For information on how to register for a TOP session please click: TOP



 What students have to say about our faculty and department:

Every time I see a faculty member or an administrator, they always have great service with a smile. Even when they are in a rush to complete a mission they always take the time to listen and have great body language! When students see that professors are dedicated to their passion then the students stay in their majors.  I remember when I switched to two majors and then when I accepted the Family Studies major and minor in Child Studies.  I knew I had made the right choice. Even when the criteria  for a class is hard, they encouraged me to fight for my grades. The laughs, jokes and smiles are always heart-warming and make external stressors seem as if they did not exist. So, I thank the department from the bottom of my heart.


Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 1/23/23