Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Major Curriculum Requirements

Are you interested in WKU?

Apply Now



WKU Recreation Administration logo

Phone: (270) 745-2498


Twitter @RecMajorWKU

Instagram @RecMajorWKU

Accreditation logo

   Accredited since 1980.

Curriculum Requirements

The major in Recreation Administration (leading to a Bachelor of Science degree) prepares students for exciting careers helping people improve their quality of life by serving their community in nonprofit, government, and commercial recreation services.

Students select a concentration in Recreation Administration, Nonprofit Administration, Outdoor Recreation, or Facility and Event Management.

You can view: (a) the specific course requirements for the Recreation Administration major and degree; (b) a suggested semester-by-semester course sequence; and (c) core course offering availability by clicking on the links provided below.

Major & Degree Information

Major credit hours

[48] The major requires a minimum of 48 credit hours (33 core + 15 concentration).

The university's minimum degree requirement is 120 credit hours which includes the major, Colonnade, and electives - see below.

Colonnade credit hours

[36+]* The WKU Colonnade program includes 39 credit hours + a world language proficiency requirement.

*REC 200 (3 credits) is a required Recreation Administration major course and also fulfills the Colonnade Explorations (Social & Behavioral Sciences) requirement.

General electives

[36] The remaining 36 credit hours of general electives may be freely chosen courses or a minor that complements the degree. Students must keep in mind the WKU overall upper-level hours degree requirement - see below.

Note: Students pursuing a baccalaureate degree must take at least 42 hours of upper-division coursework. Students
pursuing concurrent baccalaureate degrees must take
at least 57 hours of upper-division coursework.


Students are strongly encouraged to utilize some of their general elective hours toward a minor to make themselves more competitive in today's challenging job market. Minors offered by our program are listed here.

Grade Policy

Students must complete and earn a "C" or better in the following 36 hours of required recreation courses: REC 200, 302, 306, 320, 328, 402, 404, 406, and 490; a maximum of three hours of "D" in these required courses (with the exception of REC 490) in the required recreation courses may be allowed with permission from the academic advisor and school director.

Recreation Administration Degree Concentrations

Recreation Services

Students in the Recreation Services concentration must complete REC 320 and select 12 hours of electives
from the following list or other courses approved by their advisor:

REC 220, 222, 235, 304, 326, 330, 332, 335, 337, 420, 422, 426, 428, 430, 434, 435, 437, 439, 460, 482, 484, 493, 494, 496, SPM 200, MKT 220, MGT 210, ACCT

Commercial Recreation & Tourism

Students in the Commercial Recreation & Tourism concentration must complete REC 320 and the following 12 hours:

REC 420, HMD 271, and 6 hours from REC 480, GEOG 481, HMD 373, HMD 375, or ENT 312 or other courses approved by their advisor.

Nonprofit Administration

Students in the Nonprofit Administration concentration must complete REC 320 and the following 12 hours:

REC 220, 460, (MGT 333 or PS 440), and MKT 220, or other courses approved by their advisor.

Outdoor Recreation

Students in the Outdoor Recreation concentration must complete REC 320 and the following 12 hours:

REC 330; and 332; and (REC 235 or 335 or 337); and (REC 435 or 437 or 439 or 430 or 424 or 434), or other courses approved by their advisor.

Facility & Event Managment

Students in the Facility and Event Management concentration must complete REC 320 and the following 12 hours:

(REC 426 or HMD 375), and SPM 450, and MKT 220, and (REC 439 or 430 or 424), or other courses approved by their advisor.

Environmental education with children


(270) 745-2498

Follow us @RecMajorWKU  #WKURecAdmin

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 12/14/17