Facebook Pixel Reporting a Crime | Western Kentucky University
Reporting a Crime

We recognize that very few people have actually ever been the victim of a crime and have never had to call 911. For some, contacting the police can be a rather uncomfortable experience. You should never feel hesitant to contact the police. It is completely normal to wonder "is it worth calling 911 for this" and it is our goal to help educate you on what to do when reporting a crime or requesting emergency assistance. The following will provide information to you to help you better understand the process of contacting Campus Safety to report an incident and to help you realize what you can expect to happen.

  • Calling Campus Safety
  • What is Suspicious?
  • Anonymous Reporting



There are few ways to call the WKU POLICE.

270-745-2677(COPS) is the number for the Dispatch Center

911 is the emergency number which will also put you through to the Dispatch Center.

If you call 911 from a landline phone on campus, the call will go directly to our Dispatch Center. if you call 911 from a cell phone, the call will initially be taken by the Bowling Police Department's Dispatch Center, and then you will be transferred to us.

When you call the WKU Police, a dispatcher will answer the phone and ask you if you if your call is an emergency. The dispatcher's job is to gather the necessary information from you pertaining to the call to then pass on to the responding units.

Depending on the nature of the call, the dispatcher may ask you some of these questions:

  • What is your name?
  • What is your location?
  • What is your phone number?
  • Do you require medical assistance?
  • Were you the victim of a crime?
  • If you were the victim of a crime, is the offender still nearby?
  • Can you provide a physical description of the offender?
  • Do you want responding officers to visit you?
    (if you have made a complaint but have not been the victim of a crime)

If the call is in regards to a medical emergency they will ask you for the following, age, sex and level of consciousness of the victim.

Try to answer these questions to the best of your ability. If you are unable to answer some of these questions tell the dispatcher and try to be as specific as possible.



"I don't know what those people are doing but it doesn't look right." Often times we find ourselves observing behavior of others and thinking that it just doesn’t seem right. Most of the time we just ignore it and go on with our day; maybe we don't know if it is a crime or maybe we just don’t want to get involved. However, if it made you pause in the first place, then you should follow your gut instinct.

The following are some signs that could be suspicious and WKU Police should be notified on.

  • A person trying to enter a residence hall or building without the proper access card
  • A person "piggy-backing" into a secured gate or door behind another person.
  • A person whose head is constantly looking around as if they are making sure no one is watching them.
  • A person who appears to be wandering a building for no particular reason.
  • A person who keeps checking to see if doors are locked.
  • A person who is standing around a bicycle rack looking at bikes parked there.
  • A person wandering a parking lot or garage.
  • A stranger carrying property or unusual items at an abnormal hour or location. This includes computers, bicycles, bolt cutters, a baseball bat etc.
  • A person exhibiting unusual behavior that makes them appear to be mentally impaired or distraught.

All of the above items are things that could appear suspicious but could also have legitimate, non-criminal intentions. They should all however be reported to WKU Police if they are taking place on WKU owned or controlled property.

Whenever in doubt, always call WKU Police and they will determine if the behavior is suspicious or legitimate. It is our job to investigate and determine what is going on. You should avoid initiating contact with someone who you feel is acting suspiciously. Call 270-745-2677(COPS) or 5-2677 from any on campus phone to immediately report suspicious behavior.



Anonymous crime reporting is NOT for emergency situations. If you want to report an emergency, call 911 from any phone immediately. 911 calls placed from a campus landline phone will go directly to our Dispatch Center. 911 calls placed from a cell phone will go directly to the Bowling Green Police Department's Dispatch Center, and then routed to our agency if the incident is taking place on WKU owned or controlled property.

Anonymous reporting should be used to report an on-going concern that you are afraid of being identified as the complainant. The following are examples of issues that could utilize anonymous reporting;

  • Use of drugs or drug sales in a regular location or by a regular person
  • Repeated theft of items or money
  • Hate speech or actions
  • Fraud (this can include manufacturing or using a fake ID)
  • Vandalism
  • Assault
  • Threat of violence
  • Sex crimes
  • Sale of alcohol or distribution of alcohol to minors

If you are not sure if something is worth reporting, still report it, we will investigate and if it is not necessarily criminal, we will pass it on to the appropriate department.

For information on reporting students exhibiting suicidal, self-injurious and other behaviors which might pose a threat to students and/or others in the University community, contact the Counseling Center at 270-745-3159. You can also visit their website at https://www.wku.edu/heretohelp/.

Some of the links on this page may require additional software to view.

 Last Modified 8/1/19