The Graduate Certificate in Communicating in Organizations provides students the opportunity to develop an in-depth understanding of how communication
functions in organizations. Using foundational and current research in the field,
students are exposed to organizational communication theory and processes. Students
will take graduate courses that focus on general organizational communication theory,
applied organizational communication, communication within specific organizational
contexts, and one other course chosen by participants as especially relevant to their
own work and interests.
This program focuses on current research in the communication field, organizational
communication theory and processes. This 12 credit hour certificate can be earned
completely online and may be applied toward a master's degree program of your choice,
with advisor approval.
The minimum requirements for acceptance are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Have adequate preparation in the field of specialization.
- Application and Fee
- Official copy of Transcript(s)
- Writing Sample
- The GRE or GMAT IS NOT required for admission into this program.
1. Apply for admission
- Visit the WKU Online Admission Page for more information.
- A Step By Step Guide for completing the application process: Application Tutorial
- There is a $65 application fee.
- Complete the WKU Domestic and International Graduate Application
- Under Planned Course of Study Section, Choose:
- Category of Study >>> Certificate
- Planned Course of Study >>> Communicating in Organizations (0471)
2. Submit Required Materials:
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT
- Request at least one official transcript showing the completed degree from accredited
institutions other than WKU.
- The transcript must be forwarded from the college or university registrar electronically
or directly to the Graduate School.
- Send your official transcripts from each college attended to Graduate Admissions.
- You may request electronic transcripts through the National Student Clearinghouse. This speeds up the admissions process considerably. If your school is not listed
with the Clearinghouse, please contact them directly to see if they have another process
in place for electronic submissions or request that an official copy be sent by mail.
- WRITING SAMPLE
- Sample can be from an undergraduate or graduate level course.
- For additional information on university admission requirements please visit the Graduate School Admission Page.
Deadlines for Admission Applications & Transcripts
- Fall Semester: Rolling Admission
- Spring Semester: Rolling Admission
Selected Core Courses (12 Hours)
Pick 2 courses with advisor approval from each of the following 2 categories:
1. Organizational Communication in Context (6 Hours)
- COMM 528 Comm in the Nonprofit Sector
- COMM 561 Multinational Organizational Comm
- COMM 564 Crisis Communication
- COMM 571 Organizational Comm. in the Digital Age
- COMM 581 Applied Organizational Communication
- COMM 586 Processes of Group Communication
2.Strategies for Communicating (6 hours)
- COMM 523 Health Communication
- COMM 553 Health Communication Campaigns
- COMM 563 Issues Management
- COMM 565 Communication and Conflict
- COMM 566 Corp & Org Advocacy
- COMM 568 Organizational Identification
- COMM 577 Terrorism & Communication
- COMM 578 Seminar in Interpersonal Communication
- COMM 587 Comm Intercultural Negotiation & Mediation
- COMM 590 Intercultural Communication
Total: 12 Credit Hours
Please note the following as you plan your program of study:
- Students admitted to graduate studies at WKU can elect to pursue the graduate certificate
by itself or with advisor approval in conjunction with a masters program in a specific discipline.