Graduate Certificate in Gifted and Talented Education Endorsement
The Gifted and Talented Endorsement requires twelve graduate hours. The program can be part of a Master's program, a Rank I, or a Rank II as well as a separate endorsement. This program includes three web classes and a practicum, which will be completed primarily in your home region at a school you select.
The endorsement is currently accredited by the Southern Conference Association of Colleges and Schools.
The minimum requirements for acceptance into the Gifted and Talented Endorsement are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree from a college or university of recognized standing.
- Must be admitted to the Graduate School and have a teaching certificate.
- Adequate preparation in the field of study.
This program is set to start every Fall term.
Application & Fee
Students seeking this certificate must apply online.There is an application fee.
Graduates of accredited institutions other than WKU must submit an official transcript showing the completed degree to the Graduate School.
This program can be completed in one year with a total of 12 graduate hours.
Courses in Program:
- GTE 536: Nature and Needs of Gifted, Creative and Talented Students (3 hrs) Terminology, theories, issues, and general approaches in educating gifted, creative, and talented young people.
- GTE 537: Curriculum, Strategies, and Materials for Gifted Students (3 hrs) The curriculum and the learning environment in meeting the unique and advanced needs of gifted students. Strategies particularly suitable for the gifted.
- PSY 432G: Psychology of the Gifted and Creative (3 hrs) Identification of gifted children and adults with emphasis on educational programs for the maximum development of giftedness.
- GTE 538: Practicum for Teachers of Gifted Students (3 hrs)Prerequisites: GTE 536, GTE 537, and PSY 432G. Supervised experiences to integrate the knowledge and skills needed to plan, implement, and evaluate effective learning experiences for gifted, creative, and talented students. The experience is provided on the campus of Western Kentucky University during the last two weeks of June.
For more information about the program, fill out the form below.
Did you know? The Kentucky P-12 Professional Educator Rate is a special tuition rate for Kentucky teachers in specific master degree programs. It is $395 per credit hour. Click here to learn more!