The main circulation desk located on the fourth floor Raymond Cravens Library, offers a wide variety of items to check out including, but not limited to books, periodicals, laptops and much much more! You may find additional Circulation services in Beuhal Winchel Education Library (Gary Ransdell Hall, room 1073) and the Visual and Performance Arts Library (Raymond Cravens Library, second floor). A valid WKU identification card (WKU ID Card, Friends of WKU Libraries, or WKU Alumni Association membership card) is required to check out any library materials. For more information, please contact us at 270-745-3951.
- Student Borrowers
- The loan period for most circulating library materials is four weeks for students. Audiovisual materials circulate for seven days. There is a limit of 10 items per type of AV material.
- Faculty and Staff
Friends of the Library & Members of WKU Alumni Association
- The loan period for most library materials is one semester, with audiovisual materials are offered for a loan period of one week. There is a limit of 10 items per type of AV material.
- Present membership card, or receipt of payment at the Circulation Desk.
- Friends of WKU Libraries and Members of WKU Alumni Association may borrow circulating library materials for four weeks, audiovisual materials for one week.
- To become a Friend of WKU Libraries, visit Become a Friend of WKU Libraries website, or contact the WKU Libraries at 270-745-6977.
- Checked out items may be returned to the Circulation Desk on the fourth floor, the VPAL Desk on the second floor, or at any of the branch libraries. There are also book returns located at the first and fourth floor entrances to the Cravens library.
- Renewals can either be made at the libraries or online . Items on hold or recall may not be renewed. Faculty, staff, and students may renew items for a total of 24 months online before the items must be brought into the library to be renewed in person. Friends and other types of patrons have a maximum of 12 months before the items must be brought in. Library staff will assist patrons in retrieving or returning library items and provide reasonable accommodations as needed. Please ask at the Circulation Desk or call 270-745-3951 for more information.
- Fines are $.10 per day per item. When the fine on an item reaches $10.00, the item is declared lost, and the patron will be charged $85.00 lost items replacement and processing fee. A lost item that is returned will only accrue the $10.00 overdue fine. Faculty, staff, and students are blocked when their total fines reach $50.00, at which point they cannot check out or renew any library materials until the matter is resolved.
- Fines for overdue reserve materials are $.25 per hour.
- Fines can be paid at the Circulation Desk on the 4th Floor of the Cravens Library. They may also be paid by phone with a credit card. Please call 270-745-3951 for more information.
- Students, faculty, and staff may fill out a Search card at the Circulation Desk for an item not found on the shelf that is not checked out. Library staff will search for the item, and once the item is found it is held at the Circulation Desk on the 4th floor of the Cravens Library for one week, and the patron is notified by a mailed notice or by telephone.
- A Hold is a request to have a book or other library material that is currently checked out to another patron held at the Circulation Desk when it is returned. Holds can be placed from the One-Search Box online catalog (formerly TOPCAT) page for a particular book. A hold request can also be filled out in person at the Circulation Desk or online here.
- A Recall is a request to get a book or other item that is checked out to another patron back as soon as possible. Recalls can be placed from the online catalog page for a particular item. An item can also be recalled at the Circulation Desk or by this online form. All library materials are subject to recall for use by another patron.
- If an item is recalled, please return it to the library as soon as possible. Once a recall request is place, you have 14 days for regular items and seven days for audio visual items before they accrue fines at the rate of $1 per day. If you fail to return a recalled item, your library borrowing privileges will be blocked automatically by the circulation system and you will be billed for the replacement cost of the book, plus a $35.00 processing fee. Friends of the libraries do not have recall privileges.
- The Circulation desk is the main location for articles or library materials placed on reserve by professors.
- Professors on the main campus may use this Reserve Request Form to place reserve materials in Circulation for students to use. Instructors may designate a three hour in-house (in library only), overnight, three day, or seven day loan period.
- Class reserves can be found in the WKU Libraries catalog by selecting Course Reserves from the Advanced Search function, and then typing in the course subject and number in the search field. Example: Eng 300.
- Fines for overdue reserves are $.25 per hour or $.75 per day per item.
- The library has laptops available for checkout by faculty and students at the Circulation Desk on the 4th floor of Cravens. They check out for a maximum of three hours* and do not leave the library. They have access to the wireless network in the library, as well as lots of software. There is a form to be filled out before checking out a laptop, and an instruction sheet/map of the wireless coverage area is provided. Overdue fines are $0.10 per minute.
- Laptops checked out within four hours of closing are always due back one hour before the library closes.
- Laptops must remain in Raymond Cravens Library between the fourth and ninth floors.