Skip to main content
Western Kentucky University


WKU offices in Bowling Green will open at 10 a.m. Friday. Classes Friday remain canceled and campuses in Glasgow, Owensboro and Elizabethtown/Ft. Knox remain closed Friday. Saturday classes in Bowling Green will proceed as scheduled. Here is a link to the University’s attendance policy during adverse weather conditions. Use caution and watch for slick spots on roads and walks. 

Residence Halls remain open until noon Saturday. Bemis & Barnes have space for those who need to stay longer. Visit WKU Housing & Residence Life for more information.

The high school regional basketball tournament games scheduled for Wednesday night were canceled. Games will be rescheduled for Friday/Saturday. Follow WKU News for the latest updates. #WKUAlert

FAQ: Government Documents

Where are the Government Documents located?

The US and Kentucky documents are located on the ground floor of Helm Library.

What are your hours?

The documents collections are accessible all hours the library is open. Hours may be found on the Libraries' Home Page or on TOPCAT.

How are the documents arranged?

The documents received from US government agencies are shelved according to the Superintendent of Documents Classification System (SuDoc). This alpha-numeric system places materials by issuing agency. For example, all the documents with call numbers beginning with A originated in the Department of Agriculture, all documents with call numbers beginning with D originated in the Department of Defense.

Kentucky documents are being cataloged onto TOPCAT.

CAN I find documents by using TOPCAT, the online catalog?

At present only the Kentucky documents are included in TOPCAT.

Where should I begin my search if I can't find documents in TOPCAT?

The major index to US government documents is the Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications. available on GPO Access or MarciveWeb DOCS available via WKU Libraries' databases.

There is also an index to the government periodical literature, Government Periodicals Universe. It is available via WKU Libraries' databases. -- Your first click for federal information.

In addition to these major indexes, browse the links to the government agencies' web sites.

Can I check out government documents?

YES, most documents may be checked out for 4 weeks. Ask for assistance with checking out documents in the documents processing offices, rooms 1, 2 or 4, on the ground floor of Helm Library.

Where do I go for help?

There is an information desk in the Documents area where you can ask to be directed to one of the staff members or librarians for assistance, or ask at the desk in the Reference Center, first floor of Helm Library. You can also make an appointment with the Government Information & Law Coordinator for research assistance.

Can I make copies of microfiche?

Yes, the equipment to make microfiche copies is in the microforms area on the second floor of Helm Library.

Where is the closest copier?

The nearest photocopier is in the Law Collections and copies are five cents each. Other copiers are available in the Helm-Cravens Library complex that cost five cents per page. Materials may be taken from the area to be copied. Photocopy machines ccept nickels, dimes, quarters, one dollar bills and five dollar bills. A change machine for $1 or $5 bills is located on the fourth floor of Cravens by the Circulation Desk.

Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
download excel.

Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
download word.

Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
download powerpoint.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 9/25/14