Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Office of Professional Educator Services

Instructions For Applying For Admission To Student Teaching

Read This Page Carefully Prior To Clicking On The Epass Link At Bottom Of Page

Be sure you have met all prerequisites

  • Applications will be accepted for the Fall semester from the last week in January through February 15.   Spring semester applications will be accepted from the last week in August  through September 15. NO application will be accepted after this date(s).
  • All requirements must be met and applications must be committee approved by the following dates or your application will be withdrawn.  Fall applications must be committee approved by June 1st.  Spring applications must be committee approved by November 1st.
  • Indicate your major – Elementary, Middle Grade, Secondary, 5-12, P-12, Special Ed., or IECE.  Indicate the certification subject area of your major – English, Math, PE, Art, etc.  
  • If you have an interest in completing a portion of your student teaching internationally, click on the box and indicate ‘YES’.  You will be invited (via email) to an informational meeting after student teaching applications have been processed.
  • Clearly indicate your assignment request.  You are required to list three (3) school districts of preference.  Out-of-Service area requests will not be granted unless it is for extenuating circumstances.  Additional costs do apply.  Out-of-Service Area requests require a meeting with the Director of Professional Ed.  Please call 270-745-4897 to request a meeting.
  • List any specific schools where you cannot student teach.  You cannot student teach in the high school from which you graduated (less than 10 yrs.) nor a school at any level with which you have been employed as a coach or have close family or social ties.  (This does NOT include schools where you have served as a substitute teacher.)
  • Sign the application form.  Your application will NOT be processed without your signature.
  • Your assignment constitutes an obligation on your part and your plans should provide for meeting this assignment.  Changes in assignments should never be requested except in cases of the most extenuating circumstances, as they reflect negatively upon the university and you.  Please notify the Student Teaching Office ASAP if you will be unable to fulfill this obligation.
  • You must file the results of a current (less than one year during the student teaching term) physical examination, TB assessment, and your Promoting Positive Behavior in Schools Certificate with the Student Teaching Office. All documents need to be emailed to for verification. State law requires that we have these forms on file before you report to your student teaching assignment.  Once you have received your assignment, it is your responsibility to report to the school district to do a ten finger criminal record check.  The fee for the criminal record check must be paid by money order or cashier's check.  (No personal checks)  Please call the school district office for further details and to set up an appointment.
  • You must register for student teaching just as you would for any other course.   Completion of this application does not constitute registration.  Please contact to be cleared for EDU 489 or SPED 434 – Student Teaching Seminar or Karen Long,,  for SMED 489.
  • You are required to attend an orientation session for student teachers prior to reporting to student teaching.

CERTAIN COURSEWORK MAY NOT BE TAKEN DURING STUDENT TEACHING without written permission from the Director of Professional Education.

If you are planning to take a course during student teaching, you must email the Student Teaching Office, , to ensure that it does not conflict with state or university regulations.




Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,
download quicktime.

 Last Modified 7/24/17