School Principal Certification ProgramEffective Fall 2011
A minimum of 18 credit hours plus 9-hours of co-req. courses is required to complete Level I certification. Students must also pass the Kentucky Principal Specialty Test and the School Leaders Licensure Assessment test for Provisional Certification. Continuation of certification is contingent upon completion of Level II courses (12 credit hours) for the Professional Certification. Completion of both Level I and Level II coursework is required for Rank I and/or professional certification.
Admission into the revised Principal Preparation Program requires acceptance by the Graduates school, submission of Department Application, and selection by the Principal Preparation Admissions Committee.Students must meet the following criteria in order to apply for admission:
- Master’s degree
- Submit a copy of a current, valid teaching certificate
- Three years documented successful teaching experience
- GPA of 3.0 on all graduate work
Co-requisite courses (9 hours)
These courses may be taken before, during, of after 18 hours of core principal certification classes, but students may not apply for certification until all co-requisites are complete.
- EDAD 588 Allocation and Use of Resources
- EDAD 677 Legal Issues for Professional Educators
- EDAD 684 Instructional Leadership
Level I courses (18 hours)
These courses must be taken sequentially, two courses each term (Fall, Spring, Fall or Spring, Fall, Spring). Fieldwork consistent with the role of the school principal is required in each course. The program format is cohort with a maximum of 25 students.
- EDAD 640 Introduction to School Leadership
- EDAD 641 Building Culture and Community
- EDAD 642 Leveraging Community Systems & Resources
- EDAD 643 Securing and Developing Staff
- EDAD 644 Creating Organizational Structures & Operations
- EDAD 645 Practicing the Principalship
Level II Courses: (12 hours)
- EDAD 694 Seminar in Education Administration (6 hours) (Completion of Level I is a prerequisite to this course)
- Advisor-approved electives (6 hours)
Note: There is an Alternate Route version of this program. Please contact the EALR Department for additional information.
For certification information, see: Teacher Certification