The WKU Chinese Language Flagship Program and the WKU Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning must approve all summer language programs in order for students to receive credit or funding. Not all programs are eligible for Flagship funding, and approved programs are subject to change based on an annual review of programs.
Students may apply for Flagship funding for one domestic summer intensive Chinese program, one international summer intensive program, and the Capstone Year. Funding decisions are based on a combination of merit and availability of funds. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for university and external scholarships to cover any and all expenses associated with a program abroad, especially those who are not eligible for Flagship funding. For assistance with the scholarship application process, all students should work with staff in the Office of Scholar Development.
To be eligible for Flagship summer funding, students must be in good standing in the Chinese Flagship program, the Honors College at WKU, and have reached the Intermediate-Low level of proficiency for Domestic programs, and Intermediate-Mid for International programs. Applications for Flagship funding can be found on the Chinese Flagship Program Blackboard page or from your Flagship advisor.
Flagship Approved Summer International Immersion Programs
- Associated Colleges in China
- CET Intensive Chinese Language in Harbin
- CET Intensive Chinese Language in Beijing
- IUP-Inter-University Program for Chinese
- Princeton in Beijing
- CIEE-Shanghai Intensive Language, ONLY CIEE program approved
NOTE: All CIEE programs in China have scholarships available through CIEE
- University of Mississippi Flagship Program in Shanghai
- Duke in China
Flagship Approved Summer Domestic Immersion Programs
- Flagship Chinese Institute (FCI)- Indiana University Bloomington
- Summer Chinese Immersion Program- University of Rhode Island
- Middlebury College Chinese School
Other Summer International Immersion Programs
- CET Intensive Chinese Language in Kunming
- CIEE Summer Intensive Chinese Language – Beijing
- International Studies Abroad (ISA), Shanghai
Capstone Year in China
- Timing of the Capstone Year is determined by each student’s language proficiency and academic major
- All students graduating in this program will spend a Capstone year abroad. There are two options to fulfill the Capstone Year. The first is by completing a semester of study at Nanjing University. Immediately following the semester in Nanjing, scholars complete professional internships at various locations in China. The second option is to complete an academic year at Beijing Union University with an incorporated internship during the second semester of study.
- Flagship students in good standing with the WKU Honors College and the WKU Chinese Language Flagship Program are eligible to receive funding toward the Capstone Year. Additional scholarships are available to support the Capstone Year, including the Boren Scholarship. Students are strongly encouraged to work with the Office of Scholar Development at WKU to identify appropriate scholarships.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,