Eligibility & Program Expectations
The WKU Chinese Language Flagship Program is open to strongly motivated incoming students who are interested in developing a high level of proficiency in Mandarin Chinese that will complement their professional and academic training in any of a diverse range of career fields. No prior study of Chinese is required.
- Students must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Students must have applied to, or be in good standing in, the Honors College.
- Compatible with any academic major at WKU with the exception of Nursing. The Capstone Year is not compatible with certification requirements for Nursing.
- Students must also achieve satisfactory results on all tests required by the Flagship, and maintain progress through the curriculum.
- Students must commit to the intensive study of Chinese for the duration of their degree program at WKU and a Capstone year in Nanjing, China or Beijing, China. There are two options to fulfill the Capstone Year. The first is by completing a semester of study at Nanjing University. Immediately following the semester in Nanjing, scholars complete professional internships at various locations in China. The second option is to complete an academic year at Beijing Union University with a mini-internship during the second semester of study.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher to view,
download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Note: documents in Excel format (XLS) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Word format (DOC) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Powerpoint format (PPT) require Microsoft Viewer,
Note: documents in Quicktime Movie format [MOV] require Apple Quicktime,